GT Pro build thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just got this frame and bars back today and I'm going to be doing a build on it. I don't have all the correct parts for it yet but I will update things as they become available and use what I got for the mean time. Which you like better black tires with the grey and blue stripes or the white tires?

And I parted out my $10 score for the GT mags, almost mint vintage Dia-compe brakes, GT seat, and a few small parts.

Bars match the brakes within a few shades so it should look good.

Pic is kinda blurry so I grabbed the frame and looked to clarify, there is a 4 stamped in front of the dropout slot and serial is 6841697

He said it was a 1984 pro series and something about the 4 meaning it is a pro series? I don't know I'm too lazy to look it up right now I'm tired from running all day.

GT 4130 :D

LukeTheJoker said:
Nice frame! The ultimate tires for that bike would have to be blue skinwalls wouldn't they?

Luke.

Yeah but I'm trying to use up what I got laying around and not spend any money. :lol: Just curious how is the pro series different from the regular GT? Other than being made in the USA rather than overseas... :?

I know just enough about BMX and bikes in general to get myself into trouble (I know what brands to look for and how to spot an approximate age but not enough to really know just how good I did on a bike.

Got quite a bit done on it. I decided to go with the black blue and grey tires for now but I think some blue gum walls are in order down the road. Got the wheels, brakes, fork, handlebars, stem, seat, and everything on just need to get a chain and seat clamp. Also I am going to paint the crank arms or swap them out. This bike is ridiculously light! I couldn't believe when I picked it up just how light it was.

Brakes perfectly match the decals and the cables match the bars so I think I am going to carry the two tone blue throughout the bike if I can.

Got a different more period correct crank, cleaned it up, and installed it. Looks much better. Also found a GT seat clamp.

Once some money frees up I'm thinking some blue gum walls, a blue and chrome chain, and a set of blue GT pro decals will finish this off nicely.

outskirtscustoms said:
Once some money frees up I'm thinking some blue gum walls, a blue and chrome chain, and a set of blue GT pro decals will finish this off nicely.

To compliment the handlebars a bit, you could even try getting a blue gt seat, like the 86 world tour had.

hckngrtfakt said:
outskirtscustoms said:

To compliment the handlebars a bit, you could even try getting a blue gt seat, like the 86 world tour had.

Actually I was thinking of a re-pop GT blue pad set to compliment the bars or swapping the bars for chrome bars. Trying to keep on a tight budget and not put a bunch of $$$ into it on stuff it doesn't absolutely need unless it will make the bike better or more valuable. Right now my biggest concerns are tires, getting a real GT fork, and a real GT stem.

I decided to go with the white tires for now till I can get some blue ones. They had a purple stripe on them (came off a little girl's bike) so I took a permanent marker and colored them in black. Looks good if I do say so myself. Also made some cool vintage dice valve caps.

I also found out something new, NEVER shake the ink down in a marker unless the cap is ON! :oops: If you look close there are a few black spots on the rear tire by the chain, I'm going to clean those up tomorrow.

burrkrayecycles said:
nice old gt dude
i loved those bikes as a kid but never had one
looking fantastic
Sean

Actually just sold it this morning, a guy's nephew wanted a BMX bike from back in the day so I gave the guy a killer deal on it and made a kid's day. And put enough money in my pocket to make my Mongoose Beast purchase more comfortable. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back