"GULF SWING" Fat tire Swingbike build! As done as it is gunna be!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "GULF SWING" Fat tire Swingbike build! PROGRESS!!!

Woohoo! Lookin' good. Did I see a chain on that thing? I've been itchin' to ride mine, but not yet...not yet.

GuitarlCarl said:
Woohoo! Lookin' good. Did I see a chain on that thing? I've been itchin' to ride mine, but not yet...not yet.
Chain is on, but only for mock-up, still a fair way off riding, not even sure I want to ride it until the springs are on... :shock: I can see myself falling off quite a few times learning how to control this thing.
Even picked up some knee and elbow pads the other day!

Luke.

Loving the rear triangle bracing you did there.. It really fits in with that big tire. Much better than the factory sheet metal bracing. I finally picked up my original beater Swingbike and tossed a rear wheel and chain on it and took it for a ride...What a blast to ride. Yours is gonna be a blast too..

DJ Bill said:
Loving the rear triangle bracing you did there.. It really fits in with that big tire. Much better than the factory sheet metal bracing. I finally picked up my original beater Swingbike and tossed a rear wheel and chain on it and took it for a ride...What a blast to ride. Yours is gonna be a blast too..

Ditto... Been lookin' at them repop rear clips on eBay...Hmmm...

Not far Pirate! Looking forward to it too!
Extra pic for this page, liking the way it is looking now! :mrgreen:

10990460515_5547cf4365_z.jpg

Luke.

Proportions are looking nice Luke!
I have always wonder with swing bikes why people don't use much of the space in front of the BB? Seem like a cool place to do some creative welding of a spikey triangle of a flaming skull like FunkMe AOD. Just thinking out loud.

Not really sure there King, my guess would be to keep it all clear so you don't hook your legs on anything when swinging or lifting a leg over for more angle, but there would be some room there specially on this one...

Luke.

Trust me, at least when learning to ride one, you are glad there is nothing there to whack your legs or feet into. Also if you are doing a trick of some sort it is nice to have all that empty space for the obstacles to go though.

Some guys can ride the swingers even if they have to flip their leg over the top tubes to reach the pedal when at a large swing angle, but I can't ride my original that way. At least not well enough to stay on the bike...

It will be interesting to see the difference the larger rear wheel makes to rideability. I predict it will add stability and make swinging actually easier.

DJ Bill said:
It will be interesting to see the difference the larger rear wheel makes to rideability. I predict it will add stability and make swinging actually easier.
Here is hoping! They do have quite a flywheel effect when moving due to the weight, so I really have no idea how that will affect it either... Should not be too long now till I find out!

Luke.

Just had a thought, due to the widened bottom bracket, I should be able to get larger angles of swing without have to lift a leg over than an original, due to my feet being further apart?

Any Swingbike riders have an opinion?

Luke.

I don't know about the angle but the side to side motion of your feet is limited by how far the pedals stick out from the center bar. So if your pedals stick out farther than the original you should have more travel. The angle is also dependent on the distance the bb is from the pivot point so it might not change all that much angle wise if you have a larger rear triangle.

I am actually thinking it will make a good wheelie machine due to the weight of the rear wheel. I think it will make balancing easier sort of like how wheely-ing up hill is easier. I think you will have more than enough swinging capabilities without having to lift a leg. Even on an original lifting a leg over is more of a novelty of the bike than actually giving you more swing.

Can't wait to see it in motion.

bikebuilder said:
Can't wait to see it in motion.
Me either! Just been doing some working out on the seat mount, figure once that is done I should be able to test ride it a little, need brakes and damper springs before I go really wild though...
Better for wheelies hey? I have to admit, never done a wheelie on a pushbike in my life, cant even bunnyhop, so this bike will be testing my skills and balance further than ever before...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Better for wheelies hey? I have to admit, never done a wheelie on a pushbike in my life, cant even bunnyhop, so this bike will be testing my skills and balance further than ever before...
Luke.

Never done a wheelie :shock: I am so sorry to hear that. You poor thing. Lie down on the couch and tell me how that makes you feel.

I guess you are making up for your deprived childhood by building awesome bikes now in your... um... second childhood 8)

Gulf Swing looks amazing, as do all the other bikes being built in this build-off. With the deadline extended, I might just have to join you :roll:

Glen said:
Gulf Swing looks amazing, as do all the other bikes being built in this build-off. With the deadline extended, I might just have to join you :roll:
DO IT! Do it! DO IT! Do it! DO IT!

Back