H-town Intro

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Houston, Texas,
I was recently introduced to old bikes when my 10 year old daughter needed a larger bike than her cheap 20" we bought her from walmart. I did internet searches for a 24" 3 speed coaster brake. I finally did find one (made in China) with a shimano 3 speed. At great expense, I had it shipped to us and she really liked it.
I ran across a few references to old bikes during my search. I know now that I could have gotten her a cool old bike that would have been 24" 3-speed coaster brake !!!!! I should have bought 'Merican.
Anyway, since then I've bought a few old schwinns, discovered they were not to my liking and sold them (broke even). I would really like to find the elusive rough, but original old bike that I could spend long hours bringing back to it's former glory. I am not into full restorations, but like to preserve the history and keep everything as close to original as practical. I collect antiques (fans, phones, kitchen appliances). I am scouring Craigslist obsessively and have missed out on a couple bikes that seemed awesome, but was second in line.
I recently went to a local bike swap meet and met some really cool fellow RatRodders who have tought me quite a bit about old bikes.
P.S. I may trade up to a proper bicycle for my daughter and sell her modern bike.

Thanks for all the information shared on this forum. I hope to enjoy a new hobby.

Latest posts

Back