Had a little run-in the other day

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pondo

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This was our best truck. Distracted driver crossed the center line and drove straight into me head on a couple days ago. I unbelievably walked away with only minor scrapes and bruises. I always wear a seatbelt and now I’m also a huge fan of airbags. The red Tacoma, which was pristine and low mileage, is completely destroyed. The cops thought the guy was using his phone. He didn’t even realize he was out of his lane until he hit me.
IMG_1578.jpeg
IMG_1583.jpeg

I had just bought a bunch of old bike parts from @CRASH
IMG_1586.jpeg

Fortunately I was able to get everything out of the truck later that day. I’m hoping to buy the truck back from the insurance company. I want to keep the drivetrain for spares for my other Tacoma which has over 260k miles on it.

I’m still a bit discombobulated. I can’t believe the red truck is dead and I’m not in the hospital but I’m sure glad I’m ok. Cell phones suck sometimes. Ironically I’m typing this on my phone, though sitting in the house.

The other driver wasn’t wearing his seatbelt and his airbag didn’t deploy so he broke out his teeth on the steering wheel. I feel bad for him but I bet he’ll drive more carefully now.

This was our best truck. Distracted driver crossed the center line and drove straight into me head on a couple days ago. I unbelievably walked away with only minor scrapes and bruises. I always wear a seatbelt and now I’m also a huge fan of airbags. The red Tacoma, which was pristine and low mileage, is completely destroyed. The cops thought the guy was using his phone. He didn’t even realize he was out of his lane until he hit me.
View attachment 277544View attachment 277545
I had just bought a bunch of old bike parts from @CRASH
View attachment 277546
Fortunately I was able to get everything out of the truck later that day. I’m hoping to buy the truck back from the insurance company. I want to keep the drivetrain for spares for my other Tacoma which has over 260k miles on it.

I’m still a bit discombobulated. I can’t believe the red truck is dead and I’m not in the hospital but I’m sure glad I’m ok. Cell phones suck sometimes. Ironically I’m typing this on my phone, though sitting in the house.

The other driver wasn’t wearing his seatbelt and his airbag didn’t deploy so he broke out his teeth on the steering wheel. I feel bad for him but I bet he’ll drive more carefully now.

Holy Smokes! Glad you are ok...sorry about your truck.

Glad you’re ok. Not to be cliche but it could have been far worse

This is what scares me most about riding on the road (pedal or ICE powered) is distracted drivers

Nissan on Toyota crime 😱 When will the madness end
100%. I don't ride my motorcycle to work anymore due to distracted drivers and deer. A motorcyclist gets killed on the road I commute to work on pretty much every year. The last time I rode to work I had 4 panic stops, 2 for deer in the morning and 2 for stupid tourists that afternoon. No thanks. I'm nervous around traffic on my bicycles too but I mostly ride dirt roads these days.

100%. I don't ride my motorcycle to work anymore due to distracted drivers and deer. A motorcyclist gets killed on the road I commute to work on pretty much every year. The last time I rode to work I had 4 panic stops, 2 for deer in the morning and 2 for stupid tourists that afternoon. No thanks. I'm nervous around traffic on my bicycles too but I mostly ride dirt roads these days.
When I talk to people about road racing a motorcycle, they can’t comprehend because they think it’s so dangerous and scary. I tell them it’s far safer than riding on the street. There are no cars or cross traffic, everyone is mandated to wear safety gear, and everyone’s going in the same direction with the same end goal.

When I talk to people about road racing a motorcycle, they can’t comprehend because they think it’s so dangerous and scary. I tell them it’s far safer than riding on the street. There are no cars or cross traffic, everyone is mandated to wear safety gear, and everyone’s going in the same direction with the same end goal.
Far safer on the track. Racing on public roads is insane. If a rider does get injured at a track there's generally paramedics on site. Whenever I go visit my parents in the Bay Area I see motorcyclists riding crazy. Usually it's just a rider going way too fast or splitting lanes at speed. I once saw a rider split lanes doing a wheel stand at speed. Yeesh.

Holy cow, it looks like you were lucky it appears to be a left half head on collision so the trucks were able to veer off from each other a little bit. So very glad you're okay brother!!!

@CRASH , huh? Don't know if that was an omen or what!?! , but next time you're driving with bike parts, maybe you should consider buying them from someone with a less impactful name. (sorry for injecting humor into this horrible accident, but I couldn't help it.) Hope you continue to do well.

Last edited:
Holy cow, it looks like you were lucky it appears to be a left half head on collision so the trucks were able to veer off from each other a little bit. So very glad you're okay brother!!!

@CRASH , huh? Don't know if that was an omen or what!?! , but next time you're driving with bike parts, maybe you should consider buying them from someone with a less impactful name. (sorry for injecting humor into this horrible accident, but I couldn't help it.) Hope you continue to do well.
That is funny. I actually got the parts last weekend. When I got hit I was about 5 minutes from the hospital where I was going to get my cholesterol checked. Thought I was going to finish the ride in an ambulance but super lucky there. I might name my next build 'Lucky' for this. Or maybe 'Omen'. Thanks for the humor though, it helps. I have anxiety anyways and I'm still a bit sketched out even though it's been a couple of days. It was hard to make the hour drive to the tow yard to clean the truck out that same afternoon. But I've been spending some quality time planning my next muscle build and CRASH is helping me with parts, planning, etc, too. He's a super nice guy, I hope more of you get the chance to meet him in person.

I had something similar, except I noticed the guy rolling into my lane with just enough
time to actually drive off the road and slam it into park behind a big telephone pole.
The guy looked up at the telephone pole last second and he caught my eye. All bug eyed,
he swerved back over both lanes and had the audacity to flip me the bird! A fine how
do you do from a moron. Yeah, good morning to you too!
I'm glad you're okay my friend. Our new hand held contraptions are the bane of society.

I had something similar, except I noticed the guy rolling into my lane with just enough
time to actually drive off the road and slam it into park behind a big telephone pole.
The guy looked up at the telephone pole last second and he caught my eye. All bug eyed,
he swerved back over both lanes and had the audacity to flip me the bird! A fine how
do you do from a moron. Yeah, good morning to you too!
I'm glad you're okay my friend. Our new hand held contraptions are the bane of society.
Wow, that's some audacity! Glad you were able to avoid that one!!

He texted me with the picture
of the parts and said he made a mess. He failed to tell me how! I figured he took a turn too fast! He waited a full day before he told me he was hit head on!!

A true bike guy. He just wanted to let you know that the bike parts were okay. :D

A true bike guy. He just wanted to let you know that the bike parts were okay. :D
Mostly ok. These NOS 20” fenders were mint, now a little bent and scratched up but I think I can salvage them. I don’t think there was really any more damage to the parts.
IMG_1592.jpeg

And I feel in remarkably well for having rode out that wild ride. Just bruises really. Even my neck feels back to normal already. I have a bruise on my side that I couldn’t figure out what hit me there. Looking at the pics I took it looks like the driver’s door is pushed back past the jam about 6” so the arm rest must have got me. Also the floor board were all jammed up into the pedals. Not a lot of space left there. I think I only didn’t get broken legs because I’m not tall.

Glad you are ok. Glad you wear a seatbelt 💪🏻
Thanks! Yeah, between the belt and airbag I won't even have to take any time off work. Not that I mind taking a little time off work now and then, but it's better to be sound bodied. :113:

These boxes of parts were from an old shop that went out of business years ago, Wilson's Cyclery. Lots of NOS Schwinn parts and lots of French hubs, shifters, etc. Mostly for middleweight bikes that fit the 26x1 3/8" wheels. He's still got boxes of NOS middleweight fenders and a huge pile of rims in uncommon sizes. He originally bought the pile for 1 part that was really needed for a project and the guy made him take all the rest of the parts too. I'm probably going to wind up buying the rest of it too as I can't stand to see it all go to the recycle, even though it's mostly for 3 speed style bikes. Anyone need any parts, cheap? I found this partial business card in one of the boxes that might be from the shop that went out of business. Pretty neat. The Deuce coupe is just cool eye candy.
IMG_1594.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, glad you are ok!

I've been noticing more and more vehicles crossing the center line in my area. I've actually had this discussion with my wife and kids just a week ago warning them to stay aware of other drivers even more than usual.

Latest posts

Back