Had this set of grips....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...laying around so I figured I'd start another bike.

I ran to Wally World this morning and picked up this cruiser for $84.00. When I got it home, changed out the bars and stem, pedals, seat, tires and grips. I am going to add the bolt-on panel in the "tank" area and the fenders will probably get shortened a little. I have a springer fork that I might put on but I am still debating. Now I just have to pick a color scheme. I am trying to decide between Yamaha blue, black and white or Suzuki yellow, black and silver. Any one want to decide for me???

Here's the grips that caused the me to buy another bike...

IMG_0569.jpg

BEFORE...

IMG_0566.jpg

AFTER (but not done)....

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

Galtbacken said:
It's sort of fantastic how different bars can give a whole bike a completely different feel! :)

No kidding. In my opinion the handlebars are the single most important part of ANY bicycle. Just look on this site and see how many hundreds of bikes are turned into "boardtrack" bikes simply by turning a set of handlebars upside down.

Here's an example of how handlebars change a bike...

Before...
IMG_0397.jpg

after...
IMG_0401.jpg

We've all seen your fantastic builds!......This is great for "new" members, showing that no matter how much experience ya got, it's still fun to take a Wal Mart bike and have at it...............and still be PROUD! :wink:

That's that huffy cruiser right? I've been kind of eyeballing those too. Speaking of low buck, Academy has em real cheap and I bet you can get some good donor bikes at Goodwill and Salvation Army stores.

Nice work Dan. As stated earlier, nice to see someone with your resume' doing this type build.

My son talked me into using a slightly bent pair of bars like that for our Klunker build off bike. I like the look with the crossbar and pad.
KlunkerFinished002.jpg

bring.doom said:
good to see someone with your talent working with a wally world huffy. Im using a department store bike that is pretty much exact as that huffy for my build.

Thanks ,but there is more talent flowing through this forum than I will ever have in 10 lifetimes. Everybody here inspires me more than you can imagine.

Yep, the cheap $84 Huffy Cranbrook or something like that. Saw it the other day and thought it would somehow go good with the grips.

Very nice job on your bike 62...see what I mean guys? Super talented people grace this forum from front to back.

Thanks for the kind words guys!!

Here's what I did today. So far this is the ONLY bike I have done that involved ZERO welding. I used coupling nuts to hold the wood together so the would not be an ugly "nut side" of the fastener...just a bolt head on both sides. I plan on getting some all-thread and acorn nuts for the final product. Now she's ready for some silver, black and yellow paint...

HPIM0948.jpg

HPIM0947.jpg

HPIM0944.jpg

HPIM0943.jpg

this is a very cool bike iride!!! it has a very vintage motocross feel to it. maybe paint the wooden tank up to look like a number plate? ive always looked at those cranbrooks at walmart but never had the courage to take down outta the rack....might think twice about it now!!! love the bike man!

Easy E

elvis51 said:
this is a very cool bike iride!!! it has a very vintage motocross feel to it. maybe paint the wooden tank up to look like a number plate? ive always looked at those cranbrooks at walmart but never had the courage to take down outta the rack....might think twice about it now!!! love the bike man!

Easy E

I was the same way and I finally just went down and bought one...figured I couldn't go wrong for the price.

Thanks Easy! I think the plan now is to do the frame in ack with some silver here and there. The fenders and wood panels will be yellow and I will probably put some kind of Suzuki "s" on the tank or maybe I'll put Roger DeCoster's number on it...haven't decided yet. Oh yeah, the forks will be silver too.

no no no. not suzuki!!! lol always fly with the red riders! honda all the way man!!! lol but a roger decoster bike would look rad!!! im thinkin about seeing if they got one clearenced out at my wal mart....

Easy E

HuffyDesigner said:
And another one of mine bites the dust...

Keep up the good work.

You did the theme and graphics on this bike?! I had to force myself to peel off the top tube stckers. Great job on the graphics and color choice!! If I wasn't who I am, I would have just left it. But you know me...never happy with bone stock.

Latest posts

Back