hairpin seats, real leather, $30. Opinions?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased the RBR Hairpin Saddle from Hibikes and had the problems reported by other members with the seat not staying level on a straight seatpost,and turning sideways on a layback seatpost. The hammock design also sagged low enough to rub on the top of my straight seatpost,enough to gouge out some of the underside of the leather.Felt very uncomfortable.And I know how to adjust the spring tension to the max. I think that it is a great looking,low cost saddle. I weigh in @ 235 in my birthday suit.The hard chrome seat guts,with practically non-meshing notches caused the slipping. This summer I rode a friends Brooks saddle with chrome seat guts,and it too would not stay level and slipped to the side. He is a lightweight compared to me and had this probem. Previous threads here, some guys spot welded,or drilled and pinned.And added laces to stop the sag & spread.OK,go ahead and laugh: I fixed mine by placing a deflated Wilson Mini Size Football ( $8.00 Wally Mart ) under the leather,with fill valve lined up with a hole in the top of the saddle. Insert a standard needle fill valve through the hole and inflate my air suspension to my liking.I also replaced just the chrome seat gut adjusting parts with standard parts,and reusing the chrome parts that show on the outside.

I've found a simple solution :wink:
Saddle-Cruiser-Mens-Hot-Wheels-Style-Banner.jpg

Felt hot wheels seat. They look great too

I have 2 now, one on my lowrider and the other on my Royal.
1113a_zps7d05f30e.jpg

I've found they ride a bit better if you drill holes in the bottom edge and lace them like a shoe. It gives the seat more support and keeps it from feeling like a hammock.

Ill give that seat a +1 for looks and a -1 for useability

the quality control must be crap, i should have returned the one I got. both the front and rear mounts are riveted crooked onto the leather, and its almost impossible to keep tension on the adjustable part of the hairpin. after a couple months of riding it, it flattened out and turned into a sling. tried to lace the bottom together to help it keep shape, and that only worked for a couple days before the leather folded in on itself. If the seat was put together right, and you were a lightweight guy, it would probably be a good seat until it got broken in and softened up. oh, and the post mount that comes with it stripped instantly even tightened down all the way.

i put one on my build-off bike last year and i just couldnt find a position where it sat comfy. straight post with it forward and back and at diferent angels. even tried a "L" post pointing forward and back i tried everthing. it felt ok, but maybe it just sat to high(im a short guy).
so, now it sits in the "good" parts pile until i figure what to do w/ it.
if someone wants to give it a try hit me in a PM and i'll trade for something cool(of equal value).
by the by, mine dont stink 8)

They are very cool looking, but they are very heavy. If you are looking for just looks o.k. . I found that when sitting on it, it forces the bottom side of the saddle up into the side of your legs. Not very comfortable for me. Never did figure out if it could be tightened down or maybe lacing the bottom of the saddle together to make it sturdier. But it is really a great look and the price is right. Leo

Latest posts

Back