Hand brakes over fenders?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my brother has commissioned me to build a bike for his wife. He has a bass that I've been wanting for years, and he won't sell it, but he'll trade me for a bike built for his wife...
Anyways, I have an old Huffy Causeway that he wants painted Watermelon and Ivory, and he wants it to have multiple speeds as his town is hilly, which is fine, because the bike was originally a 6 speed... But he has also requested fenders on the bike, and this bike has hand brakes, but I don't think they'd go over the fenders I'm planning on using... The brakes have a single bolt through the center of them, and the cable goes into one sie, but they aren't a center-pull brake...
Any ideas? He's hoping I have it done for Christmas, but we'll see...

Ya might need calipers for a BMX bike and/or dimple the fenders for the calipers.

I thought about the 3 speed/coaster, but I'm trying to do this with stuff I have here already... I never though about dimpling the fenders... Not even sure I know what that means... but I think I understand... You're talking about bending/creasing notches into them for clearance right?

Dimpling the fenders will be tough without the proper tools. I cut fenders on my RRBBO3 bike to fit in the frame. On the rear I cut about 1 inch notches on each side.

they make brake calipers that are wide enough to wrap around fenders but they may need wider rims to work if youve got a skinny road tire/wheel combo on it currently.

cman said:
Dimpling the fenders will be tough without the proper tools. I cut fenders on my RRBBO3 bike to fit in the frame. On the rear I cut about 1 inch notches on each side.
Would a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel be considered a proper tool? By the way this bike's final resting place will be in Idaho. In rexburg(a few hours away from you I think), but still in the gem state...

CCR said:
they make brake calipers that are wide enough to wrap around fenders but they may need wider rims to work if youve got a skinny road tire/wheel combo on it currently.
No, it's got c6x2.125 rims on it... I'll have to look for some of these calipers. Maybe my lbs might be able to help me(this would be the first time, though not the first time I've tried to give them my money...)

dont know why i didnt think of this earlier, but ive got "weinmann 1080" on a couple of my stingrays that go around the fenders.

Latest posts

Back