Handlebar slipping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24-in set of ape hangers on my bike I'm building. There obviously not the factory handlebars. When I tighten them down it seems like I can't get it tight enough and the bars constantly slip. What his everybody's recommendation for something to thicken up the size of the bar for lack of a better question. Thank you
20220718_180842_HDR.jpg

That's a lot of leverage

Since the are triple trees it looks like, I would assume no knurling where you are trying to clamp? Some people have success with dimpling the area with a punch which creates raised texture around the punch marks

That's a lot of leverage

Since the are triple trees it looks like, I would assume no knurling where you are trying to clamp? Some people have success with dimpling the area with a punch which creates raised texture around the punch marks
Exactly, smooth where I'm trying to clamp

View attachment 237252
I would consider a shim, some sand paper, or even just some sand. You need a lot of pressure and friction right here.
Well it feels like the bolts or bottoming out and they just won't tighten up enough but I will definitely try that. I know with these handlebars there a giant lever. So I will definitely try that thank you

Well it feels like the bolts or bottoming out
The trouble-shooting checklist definitely requires investigating this possible cause. Try screwing the bolts in without the handlebar or top clamps and measure the clearance. If they don't screw in far enough, cut a bit off the ends of the bolts. Of course, you can't go wrong with beer can shims as suggested by Brother Rgrrbt. Have fun!

The trouble-shooting checklist definitely requires investigating this possible cause. Try screwing the bolts in without the handlebar or top clamps and measure the clearance. If they don't screw in far enough, cut a bit off the ends of the bolts. Of course, you can't go wrong with beer can shims as suggested by Brother Rgrrbt. Have fun!
I did try that. And the threads did not go down far enough so I ran a tap down the hole and made sure they go down far enough now. I will try shims

A smooth can sounds slippery in such a crucial spot but half a proper shim under either side'll catch that center groove. Alternately you can file a millimeter off the flat sides of the clamps where the two pieces meet (and get shorter bolts) so they don't bottom out. Guessing they're a soft alloy you could probably do so on some smooth concrete in a pinch. Paste sounds good. (Is it removable or am I stuck using my handlebars on precisely spaced double risers @MattiThundrrr? I assume it's black?)

Last edited:
Back