HANDLEBARS GIVING PROBLEMS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey hi guys,

my handlebars are giving heck problems.

i tighten my handlebars fully but still when i take my bike out for a spin as soon as i try to pop a whellie my handle bars loosen up..god knows am soooooooooooo frustrated tht i roam around on the bike with the toolkit..please help me guys...

best regards,
Myke

i have had problems with apes and oldstyle single-bolt necks the most, they make handlebar shims that help them stay in place better for normal riding. but if your trying to pop wheelies the extra force will probably loosen them up too. best bet would be to put a bmx style clamp (for 7/8"s bars), they are able to tighten down alot more than older style necks are, if you get an aluminum neck just be sure not to over-tighten the bolts though because they can strip out.

i find wen i run "big" (20/24") bars this happens more often than not ...
try a bmx or 2bolt headstem or u can dril and thread the top ov the headstem and screw a small bolt in to stop the swivel !
but the steel in the bars has to be ov good quality or it will just strip on u ...
frogg_y

CCR said:
i have had problems with apes and oldstyle single-bolt necks the most, they make handlebar shims that help them stay in place better for normal riding. but if your trying to pop wheelies the extra force will probably loosen them up too. best bet would be to put a bmx style clamp (for 7/8"s bars), they are able to tighten down alot more than older style necks are, if you get an aluminum neck just be sure not to over-tighten the bolts though because they can strip out.

Yea, this works well. I used this on my chopper with real success, 26" apes haven't moved since I put it together. It's a 4 bolt setup from a $35 WalMart bike, so those necks can be found by a little rummaging.

Back