Have your tastes changed since coming here?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to say my taste in bikes kinda figure 8's, this month i'm into 26" bmx cruisers made from late 30's straight downtube frames so I have sold a few of my 40's and 50's frames to fuel this desire. I still have a couple of 50's tankers that I won't touch, love em just the way they are, I've always loved 80's bmx and old cruisers and have just kinda started finding a way to combine the both. youthgeye, those are some sweet builds. 8)

Carbon said:
youthgeye, those are some sweet builds. 8)

Thanks, the 76 Murray is being left alone, the 56 Higgins being left alone, but the 50 Columbia is about to get a ratty makeover.

No, I've always had a broad spectrum of bikes I like. Restored bikes are great, but well out of my (non) budget, so og/patina'd bikes are more do-able, and have their own charm. But, I also like custom bikes, like Basmans, and Uncle Stretch's awesome creations! And then, there's the freak bikes, wild stretched dropped mutants! I didn't join FBN, since I totally don't have time to create such awesomeness. On the other side, I also love Schwinn Racers, Speedsters, Collegiates, etc, and other skinny tired street scoots. Even some fixies catch my eye visually, though I wouldn't ride anything without brakes! RRB and the Cabe have become my bike outlets, since work, family, yard work, and home projects have ate up all my bike time! -Adam

QUOTE: I think that is where diamond frames came from....old weak guys. :lol:

This made me laugh.

I used to be a resto-rod kind of guy, very much into lots of chrome, glossy paint, and flames. But then I started to lean more towards flat-black, brushed metal, and pin-striping. From there it wasn't much of a leap to rusty and weathered 8)

Yes, when i went to DQ i usually went with the Butterfinger blizzard 9 times out of 10. Now it's more like 2 out of 5 and Heath has risen to the top spot.

Honestly all I can say is that after working on so many bikes, less is more. Fenders are getting scrapped, chrome is disappearing for powder coat and anodized and my preference of whitewalls over blackwalls has flipped completely :lol:

My tastes have changed a lot since being here
It started when I was just lurking here, admiring Monarks and Spaceliners
I think that learning how to do certain things, with help and support from others, also changed my tastes

When I first started here I thought my huffy cranbrook with flat black paint, red rims, and white walls was awesome. Now I try to push the limits of what can be done with every build. Also I used to buy just any bike that came my way. Now I focus on quality rather than quantity and seek out the old, rare, and unique bikes that actually are profitable to build. (Not that I sell them too often but good to know when I get bored with them.)

I have also learned to build up my network of Junkers, flea market guys, and pickers to buy from, another network of members here and over Craigslist to swap parts with to get needed parts, and a third network of collectors, enthusiasts, and retail shop owners with deep pockets to sell to. I still collect for myself but it's so much more fun when a bike pays for itself and adds two to my collection with the profit. :mrgreen:

maybe...ive said it before and i'll say it again stock sucks and restoring is boring.
i gotta cutomize anything i get my hands on.
just like when i was a kid if ya got a bike ya gotta trash the reflectors, fenders,and chaingaurd.
if parts dont make it go or stop whats the point?

Ya know, I was really big into the Stingray style when I got here. [big Surprise..] And after only..what.. Less than a Week.. I prefer the style of Cruiser Cafe Racer bikes with BIG headlights now the most.. Gorgeous.. just wonderful looking. The comfort of the ride, the shape.. the attractiveness of the details.. I still love my Otasco, as its my first Bike to be able to claim any Originality with since Jr High, but heck if I'm not figuring out ways to get close to this one I saw here upon Joining. This is what made me stay, aside from all the interesting conversation, facts and know-how ingenuity of you ladies and gents:
100_5588_zps410a774a.jpg

Wouldn't say my tastes have changed, but becoming more refined as I absorb all the collected knowledge, and marvel at all the cool pictures of what has been created. Internet searching led me here time and again. finally light bulb went on and I decided to stay. RRB is a great bunch of like minded people scattered all around the world physically but a close community here. I really like the motto "built not bought" and the DIY homebuilt feel of the site!

Well, I have only been on this site for a few days, but I would say that it has already had an impact in my taste. I have been into the mountain and road scene for a lot of years, and I never really saw my old cruiser as much more than a beater. I have been aware of some of the level of customization going on for a number of years, of course, but the sheer level of craftsmanship present on this site is really impressive.

I suppose that my taste in bikes has sort of paralleled my feelings on classic cars. When I was younger, I felt like everything needed to be restored and preserved. Now, I see that these creations are meant to be enjoyed. Of course, some rare examples should be preserved for future generations to appreciate, but if we are spending all of our time ensuring that bolts and paint are exactly accurate to what somebody made 50 years ago, where is the enjoyment in that? Where is the challenge? I can now appreciate a 100-point concours restoration just as much as a barn find or a survivor or a flat-black chopper.

I suppose that this site has served to further opened my eyes to the possibilities are out there. Every creation, whether it be a restoration or a wild custom fabrication, is a reflection of the artistry and creativity of the person who built it.

My preferences in bicycles is always evolving, and things have ever changed, regardless of this site. Of course, this site has introduced me to many different products and practices for modifying bikes, and I've taken some of these to heart. Others, not so much...at all. To each his own, different strokes, whachoo talkin'bout, Willis, et cetera. So, yeah, they've changed, but my biggest current obsession (oversized vintage mountain bikes with chainstay brakes and drop bars) has pretty much zero representation on RRB....

I have went from building only one off customs to restoring 2 muscle bikes in my personal life. In business I help whoever needs bike work done on whatever they have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back