hawthorne crank question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
attbikes.jpg

This is a picture of the crank from a Hawthorne that I am building. The problem is that I have never seen a 1 piece crank where the crank arms aren't in line with each other,is this a factory item or am I dealing with a bent crank? If it is bent can I heat it and bend it back? Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Its bent i am pertty sure. The problem with heating it and bending it back is you will take out any heateating thats been done and it will bend again. i have some 40 years experence welding and repairing boat props and race cars . there was some off set cranks but i think they were 2 or 3 piece rotating thingajig things . best of luck. bartleydad

that crank is toast, well either that or it is a special model for a rider with one leg a lot shorter than the other. just kidding it is a paper weight but the good news is you can just get a new chrome crank and everything will fit onto it.

Get rid of that crank. I had one that was bent the same way on my Schwinn speedster. It ended up breaking, meaning I lost control and slammed into the side of a Cutlass.

Back