Hawthorne deluxe flyer motobike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I think this is late 20's early 30's hawthorne deluxe flyer that I'm picking up this weekend. (it seems to share characteristics of a hawthorne flyer and deluxe flyer) SUPER STOKED about the saddle on this thing and I've been looking for this style frame. I usually buy to sell but I'm thinking this one is going to be my baby. I'll have to see how well that house paint is on there and the chrome looks painted from the picture but it atleast shows well like it is and I wouldn't be embarrased to ride it. Getting a smoking deal on this bike so I can't wait til Saturday night to get this thing:) enjoy!

deluxeflyer.jpg

Great job. Beautiful bike. And if you get tired of that saddle, just ship it to Tennessee. I have a few it will fit nicely on. Very very nice saddle. !!!

1918 Ranger

1918 Ranger said:
Great job. Beautiful bike. And if you get tired of that saddle, just ship it to Tennessee. I have a few it will fit nicely on. Very very nice saddle. !!!

1918 Ranger

What's that saddle worth?

The chainring looks like early 30s to '34/'35 Schwinn. I would estimate the saddle (from what I can see) to be in the $200 range if its original or PROPERLY restored.

Perhaps someone can help me out on this since it's new to me. It has 28X 1 1/2 sized tires on it. Everything has been painted over so I don't know if these are wood rim wheels or what. The rims are half round shaped. What year would this be if it has this sized tire? I thought those were pre WW1 bike tires. It does have a tube so they are pneumatic. Any help?

Euphman06 said:
Perhaps someone can help me out on this since it's new to me. It has 28X 1 1/2 sized tires on it. Everything has been painted over so I don't know if these are wood rim wheels or what. The rims are half round shaped. What year would this be if it has this sized tire? I thought those were pre WW1 bike tires. It does have a tube so they are pneumatic. Any help?

If they have tubes its most likely '34-'37 I believe. Assuming the wheels/tires are original to the bike. Even during the balloon tire era you were able to get bikes with 28" tires. The Hawthorne Zep style bikes were offered with either 26" balloon tires or 28" tires for example. The rims are probably wood core with metal cladding. What hub is on the rear?

ND model A hub on the back.. I thought those were popular more in the 20's but like I said, this era isn't my cup of tea :oops:

Euphman06 said:
ND model A hub on the back.. I thought those were popular more in the 20's but like I said, this era isn't my cup of tea :oops:

The Model A dates it post 1911 up to the late 20's I believe. I'm just trying to go off of memory here. Could you post some pics of the rims? Can you peel the tire back a little to show the inside of the rim? Odd that there are tubes on an earlier bike with that rim profile. Most of the early clincher style rims that I've seen had a flat profile. Any interest in selling that chainring?

They are wood rims (didn't see that coming...) Perhaps someone drilled holes to make them suitable for pneumatic tires?

Euphman06 said:
They are wood rims (didn't see that coming...) Perhaps someone drilled holes to make them suitable for pneumatic tires?

There would be a hole for inflation either way. Is the tube separate from the tire or is it all one piece?

Euphman06 said:
That I don't know... Would that be a "single tube tire" if there was no seperate inner tube?

I believe so. Also known as a tubular tire. Can you post pics of the the bottom of the fork where the legs and trusses meet?

Latest posts

Back