head badge help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do i get this Schwinn head badge off?

i figured the screws were standard threaded flatheads but i tried unscrewing them and they wont budge. I started thinking they might be pull out tabs, but that's doubtful. i figure better safe than sorry, so I ask the advice of the rat rod gods. :)

thanx guys.

S7300039.jpg

If they stick out into the inside of the headtube, use a piece of pipe and mallet to beat out the screws from the inside out. Then just find new screws that are a tad bit bigger if you want to put the headbadge back on.

there hit and miss in my experience,

especially if someone overtightened them in the first place, they kind of self destruct theirselves in place :roll: :mrgreen:

yeah... thats for sure. i tried all kinds of screw drivers. they all keep slippin out.. the grooves just aren't deep enough. the heads are startin to strip so im probably gonna have to pound em out as previously mentioned.

ill show them screws who's boss. :x

I bought an inexpensive (cheap) set of miniature screw drivers from Big Lots and it takes the largest flat one in the set. If you have to drill them out, it is best to use a good nail-set punch to get a good starting center mark in the center of the screw head and use a Dremmell tool to drill them out. I've used 2-40 screws purchased at a local hobby shop to replace them with. They usually have to be shortened to work. Screws with no slots in the heads are usually drive-in type and I've always had to drill them out. Thanks!!!

yeah i tried my dad's mini flathead to no avail. he suggested drilling them out so were probably gonna try it. thanx for the advice ya'll.

Take the thinest flat blade you can find that will fit in the groove and give it a couple of taps with a hammer.....it helps to loosen up rusty screws. Then push hard with palm and grap handle with pliers and turn...works about 90% of the time.

well mikeS pretty much hit it on the head(yeah pun intended :roll: ) only thing id add is soak it in some penetrating oil(liquid wrench or insert you favorite brand here.........)over night then do as he said! also dont know if you work where theres a snap-on,mac,matco tool guy around(or maybe know someone who does) but they always give away little flat head pocket screw drivers and those fit perfect :wink:

I always drill em' out and replace them with rivets.

If I'm fairly certain the paint job is finished and I won't be repainting it again, even a few years down the line, I put a couple drops of glue behind it to prevent theft. I've never had one stolen before, but I live in a high crime city and I wouldn't be surprised to find one missing if I didn't.

Hey Mr. Farrell, so what is "zombie survival" anyway?

GodHatesCleveland said:
Hey Mr. Farrell, so what is "zombie survival" anyway?

Oh... you're in for a treat. :D

zombie survival is the practice of preparing for a possible zombie apocalypse/outbreak. It's my other OBSESSION. I'm pretty much the local expert on theory and tactics. :)

there's a book by Max Brooks(the son of Mel Brooks) called the Zombie Survival Guide. It's an amazing book... changed my life. it was actually on the New york Times best seller list. you can find more info here... http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/zombiesurvivalguide/

He also wrote another one called World War Z. it's a collection of fictional stories about zombies taking over the earth.

I highly recommend both books... someday your life may depend on it. :)

zombie survival is the practice of preparing for a possible zombie apocalypse/outbreak

What was that phrase with bears??? "You only have to be faster than the slowest guy in your group", or something like that? Unless zombies learn to ride bikes I think we'll be OK. At least until the ambulatory food supply runs out.

Just remember to keep an eye out for the World Zombie Day or the various zombie social walks, because those folks are human and just dressing up for fun. They probably wouldn't like it if you started using them for practice.

Edit: I just thought of something. It would be kinda funny if there was a zombie apocalypse and all of a sudden the nature of the posts changed, from things like "Where can I find a skip tooth hub" to "I can't get to my bikes because I have zombies in my shed", "How do I get a detatched zombie hand out of my front forks", "Does zombie blood eat paint?", or "New defensive uses for a chain wheel".

hahaha. that's hilarious. "any ides on attaching a machete to my head tube?" lol.

and... according the survival guide, a bicycle IS the best option for transportation. it's quite, fast, requires no gas, and can be carried if need be. :)

and the quote i always use is "you dont have to be faster than the bear (or various predator), you just have be faster than your friend." of course with zombies you dont really have to be that fast in the first place.

there's been a couple of zombie walks here in Okc. and there actually was a story a couple years ago where some crazy redneck shot a bunch of kids dressed like zombies who were wandering through the woods. crazy!

ok... so back to the bike...

i tried using the pliers with the really small flathead jammed tight on the heads... negative.
tried banging the screws out from the back... negative.
tried drilling them out... negative.

finally we just pried the whole thing off. the badge got kinda mangled but think it's still salvageable.

Latest posts

Back