Headbadge removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to remove a columbia headbadge from a bike I am painting. Is there a special way to pop out the rivets :?:

here is the bike :mrgreen:

100_2077.jpg

100_2075.jpg

Are those rivets or screws?

If they are rivets I'd knock the back of them off with a chisel inside the steer tube.

Either that or drill through them with a small bit.

I knocked the part off inside the head tube but the rivets wont come out without damaging the badge. is there a special tool?

I always take a chisel and with the side from inside the headtube I place the edge on the tip of the rivet and top half against the headtube, then I tap the top of the chisel and it usually pops the rivet out enough to pry it or grab it with pliers

I pulled a Raleigh badge last night (aluminum rivets). I carfully filed the tops of the rivets to make a small flat area, then hit them with a center punch, then used a very small drill bit to drill through the rivet or at least pretty deep into it. On this badge the rivets just came right off.

On the ChaLLenger badge the rivets were larger and steel. I did the same flat file treatment, drilled with a really small bit first as a pilot hole, then used a slightly bigger one and slowly drilled into the rivet. As the bit bites into the metal the head shears the rivet off due to the pilot hole. make sure you hold steady on the drill...

No damage to either one, OK i did skuff the ChaLLenger badge with the file when the head tube shifted in the vise. But the Raleigh badge came off perfect and it polished up real nice like. :)

To remove headbadge rivits I'd spray the inside of the head tube with PB Blaster or the like.

Use a pipe a little smaller in diameter than the headtube and PUSH those rivets out from the inside.

Been there,Done that...Works Good.

MagicRat said:
To remove headbadge rivits I'd spray the inside of the head tube with PB Blaster or the like.

Use a pipe a little smaller in diameter than the headtube and PUSH those rivets out from the inside.

Been there,Done that...Works Good.

whats PB Blaster :?: the pipe idea would work though

"whats PB Blaster"

Its the best!

Get it at an Auto Parts place or a Hardware Store.

Its pretty easy really if the rivets are not really rusty. I always remove mine from the inside by hitting them out with a screw driver or center punch, if you tap them one goo time they usually come out, and then you can grab them with a pair of pliers, and turncounter clockwise at the same time.

Here is how!

headbadgeremoval1.jpg

headbadgeremoval2.jpg

headbadgeremoval3.jpg

headbadgeremoval4.jpg

headbadgeremoval5.jpg

headbadgeremoval6.jpg

headbadgeremoval7.jpg

Back