Headset Frustration!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are there other headset sizes out there besides 1" and 1-1/8"? I bought a Huffy Cranbrook as a donor bike for the tires, fenders, bars, forks, etc for a bike I was going to rebuild for my wife. She already had a cheapo Pacific MTB/Comfort bike but didn't like leaning over to ride. I bought a 1-1/8" to 1" converter from choppers us to put the cranbrook forks on and they don't fit. Bought some sweet springer forks and a new 1" headset for the cranbrook frame and none of that fits :? :? :? HELP!

theres 1" road/ mtb..... then there's 1" BMX thats just a bit larger... and then theres 1 1/8".. then theres Murray. :roll: ...

You need to very accurately measure(dial calipers would be ideal) the inside diameter of the head tube and the outside diameter of your fork steerer tubes(the section where the crown race goes can vary also). That'll determine what headset you need. As mentioned there are 2-3 possibilities for the 1" headset depending on each measurement. There are even some mongrel possibilities for the 1 1/8", for instance I have a CWC Roadmaster copy frame that has a 1 1/8" size head tube but they installed some cheezy custom headset to adapt the 1" steerer tube.

Check out Sheldon's headset crib sheet
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

Back