Headset Lock Ring

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to loosen the Lock ring on my 1955 Balloon tire frame, it's pretty rusty, I soaked it in Kroil and it will not budge
Any ideas out there?..........Thanks

As with almost any old bike part....you soak it in oil and then wait a couple
days. A good pair of channel locks will probably help. If a wrench will fit use
a big crescent wrench or use a cheater pipe. The key is to let it sit for a while.

Time and PB Blaster or any good penetrating oil will do better. If you can't wait
then try heat and when you mess it up saw off the whole thing and replace the fork.

heat is good to get the oil into the joint, but it doesnt have to be red hot, just hot to the touch, and capillary action will pull the oil in as it cools.

I used to restore redwood water tanks back in the 90's. some of the iron bands were over 100 yrs old, outdoors that whole time. we'd heat em up and squirt em with diesel fuel and let em cool off, several times if need be. and almost always they would break loose. torching off the nuts was a last resort we didn't use often because we didn't want to burn the wood or have to weld new all thread to the rusty old bands.

Latest posts

Back