Headset swap on a Rat Fink

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am changing out the original tt chopper fork on an Electra Rat Fink. I am putting on a springer fork from US Choppers. I am looking to change the internal headset out for a new set and am wondering whose to use. Any suggestions? Looking at fsa but I am new to bicycle work and am not sure whose headset to use. The original headset bearings are kind of beat up and I would like to replace with better, heavier duty set. Not sure I could remove the crown race from original fork without destroying it anyway. Also do I need some sort of press to seat the new crown race and the internal cups or will tightening with the star nut seat them? Thanks for the help.

don't try to set the races with the star nut/cap , it's only to get it adjusted before you clamp the stem down, not intended to carry any kind of load..

the rat fink fork crown popped right off if I remember right. (either that or wouldn't budge, can't remember which) and you can old school knock the cups in w/ a rubber mallet if thats all you can find.. or make a cheezy bearing cup press out of some all thread and a old door hinge or whatever.. :wink:

it's traditional to use allthread and a couple of blocks of wood. search over at mtbr forums if it's not obvious what to do.

Thanks to both of you for your helpful input. Yes the all-thread suggestion is very obvious as to how that would work. That info should get me through. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back