Headtube: how short is too short?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
While working on my Huffy Cranbrook, I cooked up a desire to custom build a bike from various parts seen online..
I noticed something that boggled my mind..
Firstly, cruiser frames.. all had specifications and dimensions.. that's great, till it comes to headtube size..
110mm to 4-3/8" seem too short for springer application..
Really, I measured my Huffy headtube, its measured around 4-3/4" tall..
while vintage Schwinn are roughly around 5" to 5-3/8"..

Idea is installing Schwinn copy springer forks, some even allows trimming to fit shorter headtube..
Sure, without fouling up the geometry of things..
How about the spring yoke will it function without binding on central spring bolt?

Questions are;
Will it function without squeaking and key holing the spring yoke?
Will short headtube support springer fork without welds failure?

You can change bearing to bearing distance to a limited degree by bending the top anchor plate if there's enough thread on the fork, or add a spacer between the top race and the anchor if it's too far.

I've never tried it myself, but my first move would be to space-out the headset within the stack, between the adjustable race and the topnut....see if that works out. it's easily reversible if it doesn't.

You can put a spacer below the bottom race as well. Lifts the frame a bit but looks a lot cleaner.

Carl.

Not a springer but same principal. I used a 1/4" spacer and then a piece of galvanized pipe. Second picture is a springer spacers used top and bottom. Your bottom race may need to be shimmed on the inside with a thin piece of aluminum to keep it tight. Smear it with some J.B. Weld and slide or tap it in.
BEFORE YOU CUT!!! MEASURE it, assemble it mock up, Measure it, Measure it.
Then cut, assemble it and step back and admire your handy work.:41:
1203141935.jpg

0917111552-00.jpg

Spacers may be simple trick..

Bending that thick chunk of steel called "crown ring" a few degrees may be fun..

I located a springer fork on a site that is made for frame with short headtube.. There is a different on pivot bolt location on forks itself..

Anyway, I just seeing things ahead of myself, trying avoid any costly failure

Back