Healing the soul

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got a matching his and hers healing supercity bikes off my friend Mike for a later project so for now I will have fun with the mens bike, I would guess its early 80s, nicely built mass produced, standouts would be the fluted seatpost and sugino crank and nice Lee chi all in one brake/gear shift which usually are two separates, not sure on plan yet but will be more aggressive, definitely better tyres, wheels and stem
IMG_20221008_110841.jpg
IMG_20221008_110849.jpg
IMG_20221008_110907.jpg
IMG_20221008_110933.jpg
IMG_20221008_110918.jpg
IMG_20221008_110953.jpg
IMG_20221008_110927.jpg
IMG_20221008_111104.jpg
IMG_20221008_111028.jpg
IMG_20221008_111036.jpg
IMG_20221008_111043.jpg
IMG_20221008_111206.jpg

That’s a cool stem.
Thank you, they are a bit of a rarety in my neck of the woods and speaking of necks, in different countries they are called different names I have only ever heard them called gooseneck stems and yet I've heard other people call the classic BMX 4 bolt top clamp stem of the 80s also a goose neck

Thank you, they are a bit of a rarety in my neck of the woods and speaking of necks, in different countries they are called different names I have only ever heard them called gooseneck stems and yet I've heard other people call the classic BMX 4 bolt top clamp stem of the 80s also a goose neck
I think in the 80s it really caught on to call them goosenecks, I’ve never been a fan of that term since it’s slang.

fluted seatpost ftw! Though some people don't like them cuz water gets in. I'm fortunate to be able to ride them extended enough that all of the flutes are out and the seat tube seals on the full round part of the post.

It's neat too how the fenders are painted different to match the color of the frame they are next to.

fluted seatpost ftw! Though some people don't like them cuz water gets in. I'm fortunate to be able to ride them extended enough that all of the flutes are out and the seat tube seals on the full round part of the post.

It's neat too how the fenders are painted different to match the color of the frame they are next to.
Yup flutes are always cool, and I think the healing company always put effort into their colour skemes, sometimes it's nice to have matching colours rather than go to the expense of chroming the guards although nice either way of cause

They are goose necks to me, no matter what brand or design, some will call them closer to the actual names they might be but....yes im from New Plymouth originally and your right ... in that neck of the woods they were always referred to as Goosenecks ha ha !

These Healing bikes look so familiar, and yet when you look close, just a little bit different, because they are from the other side of the world.

To me this is one of the most interesting parts of this forum. I get to see bicycles from parts of the world I’ll never visit.

And you certainly don’t see them in my neighborhood.

And the customs . . . the specials . . . I never see anybody riding anything but a modern Chinese bike, or the occasional guy on a recumbent.

When I ride in the mornings I see the same people riding around every day and none of them is riding anything noticeably custom. Just Ordinary modern bicycles you could buy in any shop.

so now that shadow speed is done apart from a nice pic I can concentrate on this build, not sure what to do at the moment as I have a few projects cluttering my mind at the moment and at least 20 plus bikes in the wings waiting to be built as a colab with my homie mike, this build most likely will go klunker style may go with the biggest aggressive tyres I have, put on some wide bars, not sure whether to do 5 speed or rough and ready single speed, frame will stay as is but cleaned as its matching the hers bike I have just in case I want to do a matching his and hers build later on

IMG_20230102_184822.jpg
IMG_20230102_203522.jpg
IMG_20230106_101649.jpg
IMG_20230106_102449.jpg
IMG_20230106_102456.jpg
IMG_20230106_104622.jpg
IMG_20230106_104631.jpg
IMG_20230106_105636.jpg

So a few progress pics from last couple of days, finally got it up on the stand, stripped down and washed the frame and fork, cleaned up the crank, seat and post, cleaned up and regreased the headset and b.b, replaced the old tourney rear derailleur with a newer no name one so far looking good, I scored a pit bike wide handlebar for $10 and looks good

Good move. I tossed my Tourney right away. What a thin POS.
Yer it wasn't in the best shape,I put on a cheap similar one as I wanted to keep the look and era correct parts, the pit bars look a little big but cool,I have a set of less aggressive ones on my friends bike I may borrow but will see

Latest posts

Back