Heavy Duty Chain Breaker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to Harbor Freight today and found this
image_16332.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-chain-breaker-66488.html
It comes with an extra pin that pushes the pin out of the chain as well. I had a 20% off coupon and got it for around 13 bucks 8)
And, it works very well :)

Thanks for the link. :wink:

Looks like it has good reviews too, and most of them are motorcycle related, so if it breaks motorcycle and quad chain, then it should be a breeze on bicycle chain, and there are reviews to back that up as well.

I have one of those and I plan on taking it back. It's a fight to use it as there's not enough lip on the link to hold, so I have to take channel locks and hold it together so it doesn't spread apart when you tighten it up to push the pin out. This one from Harbor Freight is much better for bike chains

If I end up in a Harbor Freight and they have this tool, I'll no doubt buy one since I have messed with some motorcycle chain and needed this, but let me just throw this out there. The Park CT-3 chain tool is under $30 and I spend more than that on cheap ones that broke before getting mine and wished I had just got it to begin with, plus, if the CT-3 had broken like the crappy ones, it would have been replaced for free.

One good thing about the Harbor freight one, is there isn't a channel for the chain to fit in.
If you need to do a skiptooh chain it looks like this is the tool to do it.

I'm pretty impressed with this one. I used it as soon as I got home yesterday, and to top it off, I used it on a rusty chain that was slightly frozen and it had no trouble. I've broken many of those junky ones from Walmart. As many as I've went through of those, I could of already bought a couple of these :lol:

Lowlife Lucas said:
I'm pretty impressed with this one. I used it as soon as I got home yesterday, and to top it off, I used it on a rusty chain that was slightly frozen and it had no trouble. I've broken many of those junky ones from Walmart. As many as I've went through of those, I could of already bought a couple of these :lol:

+1 on the walmart chain breakers! They are useless, unless you need some kind of fishing weight!

Back