Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Single sided stay/forks '59 Cadillac inspired heavy weight.

Seriously sick man, that light sets it off and looks at home on there already 8)

the problem is ur using Argon, ya cant use that with mortar . Get the flux-mortar wire. Word.

Gonzo43 said:
Seriously sick man, that light sets it off and looks at home on there already 8)
Thanks Gonzo! 8)
Voyager Al said:
the problem is ur using Argon, ya cant use that with mortar . Get the flux-mortar wire. Word.
Ah, so go gasless! Knew I was doing something wrong... :D

Luke.

Definitely use that big headlamp 8) . The chunky frame and wheels demand it! :lol: Plus if you're using those big cadillac twin tail lights then you need something up front to balance them out, and it does the job! :D

Little_Will said:
Definitely use that big headlamp 8) . The chunky frame and wheels demand it! :lol: Plus if you're using those big cadillac twin tail lights then you need something up front to balance them out, and it does the job! :D

Awesome comment Little Will!

I was actually surprised by the size of the Cadillac lights, they were smaller than I expected. Still 3 inches across though...
The other headlights I was working on are only 2 inch diameter, and just got lost on the frame... :shock:

This thing just gets heavier and heavier...

Luke.

I actually got some real work done today!

Redid the rear end, made it much simpler and neater, starting to like the way it looks again now...

DSC00151 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Sorry for the burry/out of focus shot, it was getting pretty dark as I finished up for the day...
As you can see, should have plenty of room for the chain, even on the smallest ring it has about an inch, with the length of chain involved, I may still need a guide wheel though...
If you are wondering how I got the round bar in the right place for the above shot, well, it had something to do with what else I was up to today...

DSC00152 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Got the front bb in! Started out with a standard bb and widened it 195mm (not quite 8inchs) Then re-measured it to make sure I got the right length for the axle extension. The axle was then cut in half and force fitted into some heavy wall pipe (the same pipe as I used for the fork hinges!) welded it up and it all worked!

DSC00149 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

I may end up re-tempering the bearing surfaces on the axle, didn't get it that hot, what do you guys think?

DSC00150 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

That is one wiiiiide bottom bracket!

Had to fit the crank arms up, and try it out, surprisingly easy to peddle, I was worried that the extreme width would make it awkward, but it seems to work just fine... 8)

Luke.

P.S. Did anyone notice the rookie mistake I made in the above shots?

Edit: just realised this build has now gone to 8 pages! It really is turning into an epic... Might make a second, shortened build thread when it is done...

Just read your thread all the way through...
Wow, Cool Build! Lots of interesting ideas and great imagination!
Glad you're trying stuff out and not afraid to tear it apart and remake it the way you like it 8)

Like the second fork better too and the latest rear drop out.
Agree with others that the big headlight should balance the Cadillac tail lights and fin
Your idea for the rear lights and fin is really stylin'

It makes a lot of sense that you're going with multiple gears and derailleur (chain tensioning)
Rode an old (single speed) Monarch that weighed ~100 lbs (54kg) and it was geared perfect
Rode like a Cadillac and was set for cruise speed only (~10-12 mph/16-19kph)
at 38/22 ratio (about, I think)
The multiple gearing will also help the recumbent style position (can't stand up :lol: )

Take your your time, you've got an epic build going, and that's perfect :D
Looking forward to following it through

Steve

Glad you made it over for a look Steve!

It is a crazy build, but I am loving it, built a 24/27 chopper, a kickbike and some other stuff before this, just wanted to push the limits a little and see if the 3 piece hub idea that was floating around in my head would actually work...

Because it is so one-of-a-kind there was always going to be changes along the way, so im not too upset to go back and rework things if I have to, there is usually a few other ideas floating around in the head to try. (The forks are a good example.)

Happy it has changed to multiple speed now, single speed would have limited the usage pretty bad, even if I got the ratios exactly right, with 150+pounds to move around, plus my 220, any sort of hill or even just a rise in the road would have stopped it... I found out with the chopper that ratios have to be spot on, as you said, you cant stand up to get more power!

As to the rear cover/light mount, well that may change some more yet! :wink:

Trying to imagine a 38/22 ratio, musta had some big wheels on it, was it a 28inch? As you said, nice cruising speed... Put a 38/16? combo on the chopper but it only had a 24 inch rear, turned out just nice, took a little push off to get going but you didnt feel like you were over-running at top speed.

Thanks for your kind words, was trying to get it done quicker but it just was not going to happen, at least this is not a build off bike with a fixed deadline and freaky bunnies to worry about! :lol:

Luke.

P.S. Anyone in the southern hemisphere and feeling the heat of summer at the moment should check out Steve's "Aluminium Winter" thread, great way to cool yourself down just by looking at pics... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65550&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

LukeTheJoker said:
Edit: just realised this build has now gone to 8 pages! It really is turning into an epic... Might make a second, shortened build thread when it is done...

Don't worry about the thread length, just keep on working it.
My BO7 build thread for the Flex-Liner 7 has 115 pages and over 29,000 views. :shock:

I had been wondering how that wide crank would peddle. Glad it is working out. Hope you don't get too bow legged riding it. :mrgreen:

kingfish254 said:
Don't worry about the thread length, just keep on working it.
My BO7 build thread for the Flex-Liner 7 has 115 pages and over 29,000 views. :shock:
Wow! That must be close to record for a single bike build thread?

The bottom bracket is surprisingly comfortable to use, was worried about it myself...

Did you spot the rookie mistake I made when I made it?

Luke.

Peatbog said:
The flats on the axle aren't lined from one side to the other so your cranks will be askew.
Good eyes!

Yep, didn't notice till I tried to fit the cranks... :oops:

Quick fix, just cut the pipe, chamfer the edges and welded it back together, making sure it was straight of course... :wink:

Luke.

Hey Luke,
The bike I was talking about was Nickinator's Monark (previously posted in the Andover Swap thread)
28Oct12044.jpg

You could PM him about the exact specs: wt, gearing, OD tire/wheels, and crank length
He proved how smooth it rides when he take it down to McDonald's on a regular basis
I rode it too and it was sweet! The spokes were really thick :shock: :lol:

With your multi-gear setup you'll probably have the right ratios already
Good Luck!
Steve

Yeah, the gearing is no longer an issue anymore, but it is nice to know these things for future builds... :D

That is one amazing bike... I can see he runs some big tires on there, real masterpiece of metal artwork! :shock:

Luke.

Sorry no updates for a while everybody, successive days of over 40 degree (110f+) weather is not welcoming to bike building in the sun...

Weather is looking better in a couple of days, so hope to make some progress soon... :D

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Sorry no updates for a while everybody, successive days of over 40 degree (110f+) weather is not welcoming to bike building in the sun...

Weather is looking better in a couple of days, so hope to make some progress soon... :D

Luke.

That's ermm pretty hot!! :shock: .Hope all is well with you and your family fella? Here's hoping you haven't been affected by the bushfires? I know we British like to complain about the weather a lot, but at least we don't have to contend with THEM!

Will

Thanks for the concern Little Will, thankfully no fires right near us at the moment, all set for if they do come closer though!

Still no real progress on the bike, been too hot and total fire ban days and not been well so done absolutely nothing since my last post... :(

The tank and seat are all figured out in my brain though so should get them done pretty quick smart when I am up to it. Got a bit of a surprise in store for you all with the tank, and the seat for that matter... :mrgreen:

Update hopefully soon,

Luke.

Edit: Just checked the fire authority website, tomorrow is a total fire ban day for the entire state, guess I wont be doing much...

I edited out a couple of pics, so not to pollute your cool thread too much

Hopefully the fire dangers and temp go down soon
Looking forward to seeing what you've got in store next...

MplsCoaster said:
I edited out a couple of pics, so not to pollute your cool thread too much

Hopefully the fire dangers and temp go down soon
Looking forward to seeing what you've got in store next...

All good MplsCoaster, didn't worry me at all... :wink:

Might be able to get some work done tomorrow, not yet declared as a fire ban day... :|

Luke.

Back