Hechtrod's Salt Flyer ('59ish JC Higgins)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a more detailed thread about my bike and its progress here viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9255 This is just to show off the few pics that show its progress without going through all my fluffy descriptions and details. This post is also to get your ideas on what would look good. SInce I'm very new to bikes, there are probably plenty of things that I just don't have a clue about. Like for example, Bonethrasher (from Ricky) gave me the flipped fork idea. I did that tonight and it looks great! See the before and after pics.
The bike, as far as I can tell is a 1959 (ish) JC Higgins with a spring front fork suspension and a rear rack that I don't think is original.
hechtrod

Pre flipped pic in the for sale ad (minus the front and rear lights)
5989775.jpg

Post flipped fork pic = much much better than new! 8)
100_5912.jpg

Well, I don't have a lot of time on this bike. I've only had it for less than a week. It felt a little different. The steering was more sensitive on turn in. But, you don't take tight fast corners with cruisers right? :) It's a longer wheelbase, so it feels more stable going straight. I really like it. But, I didn't do it for the ride. The front suspension action is more noticable now. I think the front feels softer because the wheel sits out further (longer wheelbase) so going up my driveway, it felt like the suspension compressed a little further.
Do it! It didn't take long and this was the first real time I've touched a bike to mod it. I'm decently technical minded (I'm a Quality Engineer by day), but still, someone who works on their own bikes, its a cake walk.
hechtrod

Rickster, you're right, the more I look at it, some monkey bars would set it off big time!! :lol:

Thanks, I'm having a blast with this hot rod!

fast eddie said:
i love that fork idea!!! im gonna try it too!!
fast eddie outty

Dang.....me and Ricky started a trend. A week ago I was the only one in the current build-off that had done this...now everybody AND their mommas.... :?

Yes, I admit, I'm a noob poser! ;) I'm trying to make sure that I give the props to you and Rickster for the idea, since its a killer one!

HEY HEY HEY! I didnt start anything bro'z. PROPS TO BROTHA BONESHAKA'' Aha that was all u buddy, i just referr'd to ya. ;) Awesome idea broham.

Like I posted somewhere (lost it) go waayyy back to the first build-off and look at "F-Bomb" (which by the way is one of the best gimmicks I've seen here) Also I think someone else here may have done it since then. I think it's all on Ricky for being the salesman!!
Well, mine has truss rods so I guess technically speaking that is different than the F-Bomb. :roll:
Well, all those people that want to do it to their bikes are now required to vote for the Brass Monkey in the build-off! YEAH!!! :mrgreen:

100_6044.jpg

100_5991.jpg

100_5990.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9172
Here's a goodly amount of pics from the "No Show" I attended today. It's a vintage bicycle and air-cooled vw gathering/show. It was alot of fun, there were tons of bikes and cars. THere were a few selling car and bike parts, but didn't see any monkey bars. Dang. I might have to go ebay I guess. ;)
I printed out some ratrodbikes.com flyers and of the 12 I brought, 6 were left, so I did my part to recruit :oops:

Boneshaker said:
Like I posted somewhere (lost it) go waayyy back to the first build-off and look at "F-Bomb" (which by the way is one of the best gimmicks I've seen here) Also I think someone else here may have done it since then. I think it's all on Ricky for being the salesman!!
Well, mine has truss rods so I guess technically speaking that is different than the F-Bomb. :roll:
Well, all those people that want to do it to their bikes are now required to vote for the Brass Monkey in the build-off! YEAH!!! :mrgreen:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=716&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

waaaay too tempting to try this... I know my front-end bottoms out when I hit a pebble. cool mod.

JoeyMac said:
I like the looks of those flipped forks, and I have a couple of those springers... I am thinking about trying it out, but how does it ride?
Hecht was right man. It rides really sweet. I wouldn't wanna enter a slalom course with it, but it's great for cruisin'. At least try it. You can always change it back...

New grips from Ricky Rickster came in the mail.
100_6058.jpg

Back