Hellion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An idea that I’ve been thinking about. Looks like maybe too much red.
86432F92-1002-48F6-8809-9464508EBB9A.jpeg
DF789D36-E1BE-4AE1-B3AF-6FC4E31769C1.jpeg
6A7F4ECE-4498-415A-9FB7-A248D3B6AE70.jpeg

Plastic paper binders make for excellent bike building material in my opinion.
I really like this idea, but it seems to be a bit brighter red and a lighter shade too than your paint. And it will look even lighter when the daylight shines through it outside. Maybe try a darker shade if you can find it.

I got to work on soldering up the sissy bar brake mount and finished just before some good rain. I will next use my dremel to cut the vertical mounting areas open, and epoxy a hardwood dowel inside. This adds some extra support and keeps the tube from crushing when mounting the brake. Then it will be vertically drilled, painted and assembled. Attaches with chrome pipe clamps and is adjustable according to seat height needs. I did this on my first RRBBO View attachment 206484View attachment 206485View attachment 206483
That is some great out of the box thinking for your brake bridge. Good job.

Thank you for the input on the chain ring backing @Bike from the Dead @Captain Awesome @kingfish254 @kram . I left it on for an hour and I didn’t like it. I picked up a nice Schwinn crank recently at the local swap meet. It came from an exercise bike so the chrome is very nice. I also mated it to a cleaner mag sprocket, lubricated everything and made its final assembly. My tall shifter has a stripped threaded hole on its mounting point. I think it’s a 1/4-20 fine thread which I don’t have a tap for. The screw just doesn’t thread through so I may just keep shortening the bolt until it tightens up. Finishing up the rear brake and working the bugs out of the shifter is all that’s left to work on.
3D5684FF-4304-4D37-AB45-ABF69EAB5585.jpeg

I took the tall shifter to work to see if I could re-tap the threaded hole that mounts the shifter to the frame. It seemed like an odd thread size, but close to 1/4-20. I went ahead and threaded it to a 1/4-20 and we’re back in business. I’ll have to trim the cover to get it to fit snug. I have the original cover painted in black in case I like that better. And I bought some Champagne for the finish line! 🍾
81C99131-4810-45C9-9DA7-91D189C72654.jpeg
D7980D57-9307-43DC-A183-CCA441B730E3.jpeg

If you got the time......

Last edited:
That is some great out of the box thinking for your brake bridge. Good job.
Thank you @Tallbikeman for the kind words! I got lucky with the whole process on the tank. Very happy with it. And the sissy brake is something I did in my first build off (15). It had a rusted stay on a very small frame that was built to a 26” and needed a brake location with the 3 speed swap. Worked well! 🙏🏻

Last edited:
Loaded with cool goodies!

Latest posts

Back