Hello....First post

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I'm super-new to all of this and still kind of overwhelmed by how hard I have fallen for this new hobby in such a short time, so please bear with me...

My name is Darren. I live in a small town in Southeastern Ontario. I'm a Dad of four and a stone's throw away from middle age. Due to the financial constraints of the real world, I had long ago abandoned the hope of a hobby that involved any 'toys' of a personal nature, or to be honest any hobby that I could share with my kids (first person shooter games and Japanese cartoons with odd character names aren't exactly my cup of tea). That is until this very week....

Through an extremely accidental yet fortuitous series of events I happened onto the weblog of xddorox from this forum. The inspiration gleaned from his pages led me to eye up a couple of used bicycles on the way home last night and some friendly correspondence with Gerry led me to this forum, so here I am.

I am thoroughly enjoying reading the posts and marvelling at the photos, but obviously creations like you folks have are far beyond me at this point. My initial goal is to get these recent finds into rideable condition for my girls, and hopefully one day I'll be able to attempt my own Rat. For the time being I am amazed at the satisfaction of spending my free time puttering around dismantling, cleaning, planning etc. instead of watching television endlessly. It truly made me feel like I was 13 again messing about with my Supercycle, hence my username.

My apologies for the over-wordy introduction. I look forward to gaining much insight from this group and spending some enjoyable time here.

welcome!

show us your finds!

tartosuc said:
welcome!

show us your finds!

They're nothing special at all. Not really rat-able, but a couple of good units for learning some basics. A 20" BMX style bike and a 20" MTB style....rusted chains, flat tires, etc....I have no loftier goals than to teach myself to get them in working order and keep them that way. Assuming that goes well I will start keeping an eye out for a cheap or discarded cruiser frame to build my oldest daughter something special to commute to her first year of high school in the Fall. After that I'll give my boys the option to pick their own colours and help trick out their BMX freestylers over the Winter. Once that is squared away I'll be able to start thinking about something for myself....

Of course this all just a plan....I'm getting a feeling this is a hobby that can get it's hooks into you and become an obsession pretty quick :D

Everything is rat-able to my opinion...if you need technical advise for your bikes let us know in the other bike section.

it can be fun to dismantle both and use "whatever fits" to make your own bike. 20" frames are totally rideable by grown adults with modification. or in my case, immature adults. lol

WELCOME!

Welcome to Rat City! :D

I can relate to your situation....35 with 2 kiddos and one on the way. Apparently hobbies for me must include wheels, metal, forums, Craigs List and Ebay.

And if it makes you feel any better, I've only been back into the bike thing for about a year now. :wink:

Welcome aboard!

i too can relate to you situation, found myself with idle hands and 3 girls running round, this is a great hobbie, i love getting the girls involved then hunting down the right frame or scavenging up parts just makes what ever they or I ride that more important to us, plus its a boat load of fun... cant wait to see what you come up with!

Happy to see that you made it to the forum Darren, now you are truly doomed! you're right, the best plans usually go out the window in this fun hobby. You never know when the right bike will come along and offer itself to you. Make some space at home, trust me you'll need it!

Gerry :mrgreen:

budzillacycles said:
Welcome New Guy!

You need to start making plans now for our *cough* HAMILTON (right Yyzmec?) Can-Am ride!! July 20 and 21 (I think)
I dont know, maybe we should move it to Holly....geeez.....and why are we not sure of the date now??? You want to change the date....lol

Wow....Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

What a wonderful community you have here....I spent significant time poking around yesterday and I didn't see one single flame or even what could be considered an argument. An extremely pleasant experience given some other forums I have visited in the past.

Well....It appears my 'plan' may already be accelerated somewhat....I got home last night, rushed dinner on the table, retired to the basement and started wrenching like mad. Both of the bikes I brought home this week are now mechanically sound and ready for the kids to enjoy this weekend, which is a holiday here in Canada. I did cheat a bit on the MTB, which had been out in the elements so long that the chain and derailuer had rusted in to a solid piece so I cut all of that away as well as the shifter cable and just replaced it with a shorter chain turning it into a single gear. The front calipers had also been mangled in some sort of mishap (probably immediately before it had been left to rust), so it now has a rear brake only. Other than that everything went well, the time flew by, and in the end I am most proud of myself. I've even got my first official gouges and scrapes on my wrench hand! :D

Thanks again and I look forward to getting to know all of you better.

Latest posts

Back