Hello from England

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little intro and a hi from England.My name is Charlie,I live in London.I have always had a love of old bicycles, cars and motorcycles.Just recently I purchased a 26'' balloon tire 1956 Schwinn Wasp bicycle from Wisconsin and had the bike shipped to me.I managed to take a picture about a month ago after putting it all back together again, which is below.I will take some pics of the my bike hopefully when I have my tank repainted and put some extras on.As you may see I have repainted it, it was a metalic Schwinn green, which I wasn't keen on and was a bit patchy with ruff spots.So I sanded it off and went with a nice classic 50's green, which goes well with the aged metel and kept some of the original ivory.I am trying to blend old with new on this build as I would like to keep some of the history and wear that you just cant reproduce.Hope you guys and girls like it so far! More updates soon.All the best Charlie

schwinnjuly09.jpg

Welcome to RRB. I was just over in jolly olde England in may/ june and had a great time. Didn't see many of the old american bikes over there, I was in London for a few days and wished I brought a bike. Have fun and ride safe !

Thanks for the welcomes guys! Hope you had a lovely time when you came to England BOSKIPPER! there are not that many american bikes in London.Alot of people have the repros at the Volkswagen shows I go to.They use them to get around the camp sites.I do see more of the vintage BMX bikes than american bikes here.

Hi everyone, well just a bit of an update on how the WASP bicycle looks at the moment.It's been a while and I have slowly been doing little bits and pieces to the bike and collecting little extras when I've had cash/time.

I always intended on putting a tank on the bike, so after months and months on keeping an eye out on Ebay for the right one and someone that would be willing to post to England, I found an original Cantilever tank.It had been taken back to bare metal, but still had the red ends painted towards the thinner end on the tank.Little look to see if it fits on the bike and tested the NOS Delta Horn goes in alright.

Schwinntankbaremetal.jpg

I am unsure of what bike it came off of but it was in good condition and the inside was all good and solid.Cleaned it up a bit and got rid of the grease and light rust on the inside.Gave it a white undercoat and started masking up for repainting.

Cream/ Ford Ivory on, and quick pencil for the lines to try and see where to mask.

schwinntankcream.jpg

schwinncreamtankonbicycle.jpg

Laying down the green after masking off the cream areas I wanted to keep.

tanksprayedgreen.jpg

Peel back the masking tape and started doing the cream and green lines.

tanklayinglinesdown2.jpg

tanklayinglinesdown.jpg

I bought a couple of Schwinn transfers and traced them on to some carbon paper.Then went over my original trace again on the tank.

logo.jpg

logo2.jpg

I sprayed the green rattle can paint into a tub and had some white spirt to hand to stop the brush sticking together and started painting the green Schwinn logo.

logo3.jpg

All done.

finished.jpg

I am quite pleased with the result and considering it was all done with rattle cans, it came out nice.

I have also added little things.Old Miller head and tail lights.They were in a sorry state, so a quick buff up with the dremel wire brush cleaned them up.Not working yet but they look nice.Also added a home made WW2 pouch, out of some fabric I had laying around and a licence plate under the seat, out of an old mint tin and bracket I had in the shed.The tyres have also been replaced with some new brick tread Duro repops.

Pics as it is at the moment.
schwinnnewpic12010.jpg

schwinnnewpic22010.jpg

schwinnnewpic32010.jpg

schwinnnewpic42010.jpg

:D

:) How cool is that! Top work Char! Very impressed :) Next time we come 'darn sarf' I will bring me Panther,
Boris.

Welcome Char
Nice job on the bike its looking real smart. Love the colours
I just found a pre war Road Master and am looking forward to getting it on the road
Do you go to many VW shows?
Planning on going to Vanfest this year with my brother so will probably have mine there

Bodge Deep said:
Planning on going to Vanfest this year with my brother so will probably have mine there
DOH :roll: typical! Missing me first VANFEST since 1998 this year! My youngest moves up to the 'big school' so dont want to cause any disruption with his first week. Still looking forward to bumping into you at Croft in August 'Bodge'

Boris said:
Bodge Deep said:
DOH :roll: typical! Missing me first VANFEST since 1998 this year! My youngest moves up to the 'big school' so dont want to cause any disruption with his first week. Still looking forward to bumping into you at Croft in August 'Bodge'

Cool
I'll have to cram the rat and the Roadmaster on the Dodge now :D

Thanks for the nice comments guys! I hope to make it to the next Bug Jam 24 VW Show - Fri 23rd to Sun 25th July 2010 at Santa Pod Raceway.May bring the bike along to that one.I think that might be the next one for us.I off on holiday for a few weeks today, but when i get back, I shall be cracking on with my current board track build.

Latest posts

Back