Hello from Mexico City !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name is Arturo, and I’m very happy to find this site!

I found this site surfing and looking for rat motorbikes, and in some video of a rat bike in youtube appears the URL.

I have a female bike that I supposed is a rat bike. This bike arrives to my home when I was 8 in 1965, the bike was for my sister, but she almost never rides it, therefore I ride it all the time.

In 1969, I had saved money to put 5 speed sprocket to “get more velocity”.

I changed the handlebar for flanders because the choppers bikes were very popular at that time in Mexico.

In 1970, I “changed” the bicycles for motorbikes and I forgot them several years until 1984 when I assembled 2 road bikes to compete in races. Since that time I always ride bicycles every weekend mainly road, sometimes cross country or downhill.

I show you two photos, one was made in the early 70’s, and unfortunately the main theme was my minibike! But, in the right side you can see the blue bicycle.

Also in 80’s I recovered the “blue bike” and fix it, you can see the actual condition in the second photo.

I’ve never knew which brand is it, I supposes is Raleigh, the only signal I have is that in the handlebar says “Made in England” Anyone of you can help me to “discover” the brand?

Thanks to read this post and please excuse me for my English, I don’t speak as I wish to.

Congratulations for all the bikes you have restored!

bike.jpg

raleigh1.jpg

Hello Arturo:
I haven't got a clue who manufactured your bike, but you did a very fine job restoring it.

Welcome Arturo, your english is fine and better than some of us from the US :lol: . Nice bike, you did a really good job on bringing her back from the dead. I'm not sure what the frame is but isn't it very similar to the one that Gerry used for his build off bike? Enjoy the ride...Kelly

Welcome to the site!

Its got to be a raleigh
i keep finding bikes with similar parts to a raleigh and "made in england" to realize its a raleigh
theres a huge list of other bikes they made i think...ONe i know of is royal scott

Thanks everybody for the welcome!

Markm, the photo you put, is really identical to my bike, the only reason I say that my bike is Raleigh, is because in the 60’s this kind of bikes were imported to Mexico, but as I said before, I haven’t any information except the “Made in England” in the handlebar. But you have given to me a “light” to search in internet and another places, thank you !

Aka_locojoe, only 2 years ago, the government of Mexico City built the first “ciclovia” (cycleway), but unfortunately this ciclovia was oriented mainly for hobby instead for practical transportation.

Only, 3 months ago, the new traffic law says, that the use of this ciclovias is obligatory when exist in the route of the way. And only one month ago, the government is going to build 400kms of more ciclovias for practical transportation and not necessary for hobby. The idea is to stimulate the use of the bike instead the use of the car to go to our jobs.

Now, the traffic in Mexico City is terrible! Then, many people use the bikes to go to their jobs (when there is a close distance ~ 5kms), or use motorbikes, that’s my case, I use motorbike twice a week to go to my job.

I put 3 photos that show you the “ciclovias” in different points of the city, one of them very close to my home.

Nogoodnic42, thanks for the comment, but I really believe that my English is not so good… :)

Foto-0076.jpg

Foto-0075.jpg

Foto-0082.jpg

Back