Hello from New England

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, wanted to say thanks for the site, have stopped by many times searching the web and decided to post a few things of my own.

Mostly I have been collecting older 80's and 90's mountain bikes, in the process of viewing various forums have come to admire cruiser-style bikes and that's how I have found my way here. I had been searching for a suitable frame or bike to build, and was lucky enough to stumble across a Goodyear Skyhawk/Columbia Firebolt/Newsboy Special on local craigslist. I had no idea what it was when I saw the picture, but knew I had to have it-a pic as it looked when I brought it home:

IMG_0232.jpg

I'd like to know the year but can't seem to find a serial number. Apparently Goodyear sold bikes alongside tires and other items back in the day. I am in the process of converting it to a cruiser, using the fork and other various bits from a beat '82 Schwinn Sidewinder. My original idea was to repaint, but after cleaning and working on it this evening, I've been surprised how nice a 'polished patina' looks. I got to searching around the web and decided to join. I'll be posting more about the bike around the forums. Thanks for having me!

Thanks everyone! I'm really excited about it...1AM here and I'm still searching about.

I'm combining these two:

IMG_3479.jpg

Into this:

IMG_3648.jpg

...it was almost too easy, the fork steerers were exactly the same length, and I barely had to spread the rear dropouts to fit the rear wheel. I think I'll be able to fit a 2.10 in the back. I work at a welding and machine shop and have a few ideas about rear brakes and running full gearing, and the cables through the twin straight tubes. I think the mods to the frame will be relatively simple-no posts or anything. I also need to add the third bar to the rack.

Anyway, glad you guys like it, and happy to be here.

WELCOME from Massachusetts !!

That looks really sweet 8)
keep up the good work. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product :mrgreen:

Welcome from New Hampshire!

You have a great start on a cool bike.

We’ll be having a Saturday night ride in Northhampton, MA in July – you are more than welcome to join us – it’ll be posted soon in the Events forum.

Once again, welcome.

Welcome from CT! :D Cool frame, I have the Columbia Firebolt version :wink:

Back