Hello from Oklahoma City

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys-

This last weekend, I unearthed the old dark-green Schwinn I dug out of the neighbors' trash pile back when I was 8 or 9 years old. Although I got it going back then and rode it all over heck, it went unridden for at least 20 years, and spent the last three or so in my sideyard being slowly consumed by creeper vine.

Anyhow, I finally got motivated to dig it out on the occasion of my 6-year-old daughter learning to ride, and getting her first bike. Cruising around the neighborhood next to her on my big modern mountain bike just didn't seem right, so I set about getting the old Schwinn back into usable condition. Replaced both tubes, repacked the front bearings, and it was good to go, at least for the short term.

I did some poking around today, and found this site, so now my interest is really piqued. I looked up the frame numbers and figured out that it's a Schwinn Hornet built the first week of May, 1952. My plan now is to continue rehabbing it, and to use it as a neighborhood cruiser. I'll post some pics, and update you guys along the way. Looking forward to being a part of the site!

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_5721.jpg

JJ
OKC

Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking for a set of fenders in better condition than the ones I currently have... Any leads would be much appreciated!

jj

Welcome fellow Okie, I'm new around here too. That bad boy would make for a great board tracker too, be sure to check that gallery out. I'm slowly turning my '97 Kona A'ha into a vintage board tracker, granted this is my first dive into bike building/modding.

Thanks guys. I spent some time today scrubbing the bike down with a Scotch-Brite pad and some polishing compound, trying to remove a layer of old green brush paint I'd applied as a kid. The original paint is pretty thin underneath (and just plain gone in some areas), but I'm a big fan of the patina look. I'll take some more pics over the next few days and start a thread in the main forum area.

Gururyan- I'm a big fan of the board tracker look, too... That might be an avenue I explore later on! Do you have pics of your project?

jj

Back