Hello from the Great Lakes area

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to everyone,
I am a vintage piece myself who has re-entered the "old bike" scene. I guess my interest (read s-I-c-k-n-e-s-s) was created in my childhood and I fondly remember my late '50s Hornet (I believe from the best of my memory) to my 67-68 Coppertone Stingray Deluxe 2-speed (which I vividly remember). About 8 years ago, I purchased a well worn out '74 Stingray I though I'd just clean-up and "let the kid ride it".....has turned 180 degrees. The sickness has flaired up and I now own a multitude of older & newer Schwinns ( a few rideable/most awaiting variable stages from clean-up-to-repair-to-restoration). Most recently, I bought "out of the box" and aquired a nice (what I believe to be a 1971 year model) Murray Jet Fire.
My bike purchasing has stopped, I have (5) Schwinns + the Jet Fire awaiting restoration, plus more.
I now have focused my spare time on starting the repairs. Ironically, the first Schwinn Stingray I spoke of, is partially disassembled and will go out for paint soon.
I know I reside amongst a bunch of bike enthusiasts that enjoy this hobby like me. I hope that I can obtain some information from the forum as well as contribute.
Glad to be aboard....
Thanks,
Oldtimer

:D Hello from Blighty,sounds like you need to start adding some pictures

I will gladly post pix when they are available. Due to space and a desire to keep things together, all of my bikes awaiting repair/restorations are kept, disassembled in their original shipping containers. In other words, yes, I have purchased bikes that I have not totally seen. Flip open the box and peek in, yes...but pulled of completely for complete inspection...no. My current Stingray was taken apart a while back... And when I came back to it, I misplaced some parts I struggled to find. So now, until I am prepared to work on it...it stays boxed up. As I start on my Stingray resto, I will try to photo and upload some pics.
Thanks

Welcome from Massachusetts!
Looking forward to seeing the pictures :mrgreen:

welcome, so the real question now that you have recognized the illness is how many bikes are in your house?

Troy

Hello back to all...thank you for the welcome responses....
I will try to encapsule the recent posts with these answers.
First off, I reside on the southwest side of Lake Michigan about 20 miles southwesterly near town of Lemont, Illinois.
A few of the bikes I aquired during my son's early growth year and I include them in my inventory, but here is a list that feed my sickness.
1.) Schwinn 'Lil Tiger - circa early '90s beautiful condition... Rode only in the house. I would guess it has less than 2 miles on it. no damage/100% complete and original w/training wheels.
2.) Huffy 24" Hybrid/Mountain bike. It might be a 21-speed. Very good condition, low miles, no damages.
3.) Schwinn/Walmart 24" Hybrid/Mountain bike. It might be a 10-speed. Rode hard and put away wet.....driven like it was stolen....held up quite well considering it use. (would need about a half-hour with the pressure washer to tell you what color it is....)
4.) 2000 Schwinn Sierra GS 21-speed. original purchased for myself to ride with my son with his 24" bikes. This GS is currently with my son while he is away at college.
5.) 1962 Schwinn American (Standard frame) 2-speed kickback. Awaiting restoration.
6.) 1969 Schwinn Twinn - Campus Green 2-speed kickback in very nice/unmolested condition. All original with the exception of a pair of Schwinn reproduction Westwinds. (My son hate being the stoker).
7.) 1970 Schwinn Stingray Fastback single speed. Awaiting restoration.
8.) 1971 Murray Jet Fire. Very nice condition 100% original. Will need some minor upholstery repairs and some minor mechanicals. Considering a good clean-up and leave the "patina" or restore. Will assess after clean-up.
9.) 1974 Schwinn Stingray single speed. This is my current project. I have assembled approximately 95% of the replacement parts reproduction and/or NOS. this bike was originally flamboyant red, but will be painted the incorrect color, Sunset Orange. Beyond the color change, the bike will remain stock with the exception of a Schwinn Orange Krate Set (silver with the orange Schwinn "S" racing stripe.
10.) Chinese Schwinn Stingray in Coppertone - still in box.
11.) Chinese Schwinn Stingray in Sky Blue - still in box.
12.) I forgot....a circa late '60s Schwinn Town & Country - All there, but somewhat rough. Needs mechanical work and good clean-up or restoration.
And that It folks...
It's been a pleasure and I look forward to more conversation and discussion.
Thanks.

Back