Hello from the Indy area!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lurked here for a bit but joined yesterday. I traded for a "Sanford & Son" lookin' Schwinn D-19 built 10/15/50 appropriately for today's date spraybombed red, white, & blue. It's missing: Tank, front fender/ torpedo light, 9-hole rear rack,hand grips, head badge, & chainguard. The New Departure Model B rear hub shell has a couple of of broken out holes with missing spokes and the crosshatched pedals are trashed. I've already got stuff coming for it. I swapped WW tires off my giant Simple Single just to see if it is rideable. Verdict: not so much. The good year BW studded tires that were on it were hard as a rock and have more splits than a high school regional cheering competition.

I work for the largest Bicycle shop certainly in Indiana and possibly the Midwest but I am actually a fitness equipment repairman and not really a bike tech. I know plenties of people who could help if I need it. That being said, none that I know of are really up to speed on vintage bikes and so here I am. I'm sure I will flood you guys with questions.

One question I have is if welding the broken out holes on the coaster shell an redrilling holes would work. Any feedback on that would be helpful. Hope to get to know some good folks here!
IMG_1066.jpg

Welcome to the club I think that should work welding up the holes but hubs are relatively cheap enough to get that being said its cool that you want to repair an rebuild with the bikes original parts

Back