Hello Moto...Mag

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what year is this? I am looking over at vintagemongoose now but can't tell for sure. Oh and Steve, I don't think it was the internet connection so much as it was We are rich and such things do not occur to us..

Very nice find!!!
I had a brand new one in 1981, it was stolen. 3 years later the guy I thought stole it left it out, I stole it back. He'd replaced a bunch of parts(probably stolen) so I "made out."
The stem and brakes are not correct for that Goose, the "quick release," MX brakes were around 1985ish, the Tuff neck was a litle before, like 83, maybe 82??? I am going to internet search that........

You didn't steal it back, you retrieved what was yours.

mikeeebikey said:
Very nice find!!!
I had a brand new one in 1981, it was stolen. 3 years later the guy I thought stole it left it out, I stole it back. He'd replaced a bunch of parts(probably stolen) so I "made out."
The stem and brakes are not correct for that Goose, the "quick release," MX brakes were around 1985ish, the Tuff neck was a litle before, like 83, maybe 82??? I am going to internet search that........

mikeeebikey said:
Very nice find!!!
I was right and wrong, just like marriage.......http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=13473

"Heres the text of the sidebar in the December '80 BMXA

"PRO-NECK AND TUF-NECK: AN IDENTITY CONFLICT

Two identical stems: the Pro-Neck and the Tuf-Neck Pro-Model. They both even use animals with studded collars in their logos. But they are manufactured by totally different companies.
Pretty confusing, hey?
This sidebar is a careful, hopefully objective, short history of how this came to be. Oversimplified, of course.
First there was Bakton Enterprises, the original designer and manufacturer of the original Tuf-Neck stem.
Then came a company called Superbyke which, in addition to its own products, purchased Tuf-Neck stems from Bakton Enterprises and marketed and distributed them.
But SUperbyke's management was not exactly clickin', and the company went down the tubes.
Whereupon one of the investors in Superbyke formed a new company and made arrangements with Bakton to purchase, market, and distribute Tuf-Neck stems. This new company was called Tuf-Neck, Inc.
Are you with us so far? This is where the plot thickens.
All this was cool until the defunct Superbyke company was purchased.
At this point the new owner began marketing and distributing an identical Tuf-Neck stem - not manufactured by Bakton - along with their other products.
This, of course, created a multitude of identity problems what with two companies advertising and distributing identical stems with identical names but manufactured by different companies.
So Tuf-Neck, Inc and Bakton Enterprises changed the design of their stem by radiusing the corners, and changed the name of the stem to Pro-Neck.
At this point the situation was thus: The Pro-Neck was distributed by Tuf-Neck, Inc., and the Tuf-Neck was distributed by Superbyke. Which wouldn't do at all. So Tuf-Neck, Inc. changed its name to Pro-Neck, Inc. and the identity conflict eased somewhat.
Until Superbyke came out with a newer version of the Tuf-Neck - with radiused corners, called the Pro-model Tuf-Neck.
Ah...what terrible tangled webs we weave. - Bob Osborn"

Just an FYI...that's probably an $800-$1000 bike on Ebay if not more. I've sold a few over the past year.

The original decals, overall finish quality and original parts make it a fantastic find.

I wouldn't do much polishing on the frame and fork. Once they get too polished out they tend to loose a bit of the mystique.

Still can't believe someone would think that the bike was only worth $40.

Thanks for the info on it Steve. I wiped off the surface crud but that is IT. For sure, no polishing it out. I still have some trouble getting to sleep the last couple nights thinking about how much i love it! Not even hardly kidding! My dilemma is this: I think I could get enough out of the stem and bars to get a Gold Stem and Ash bars. Then its a few more little parts and then its stock. Do I go that route or keep it as found? I feel like for myself, as a keeper, as found is the way to go. With an eye on resale is having the era correct non stock parts going to affect the $?

This is one I got for 60 bucks
5EECD756-F0EF-41CB-BE05-F12A6F1255FA-252-0000001D226AEBB1.jpg

78F71839-AA2E-45BE-8BB0-1992A18CB1EC-375-000000DFE0C6E09F.jpg

2732773E-FEBA-4C19-8D12-4D259BFF1033-252-0000001D4F345348.jpg

Incredible deal.

Some people aren't aware of the old school BMX collector scene and just see their old BMX bikes as old bikes... not worth much.

A co-worker of mine who used to race BITD heard I am tinkering with bikes and gave me his '79-'80 Redline MX-II that was still at his parents house after all these years.

He was just about to have his mom put it out to the curb for trash pickup :shock:

Incredible find. Was there a stampede to the guys house? At $40 you could probably double your money! Lol.

I would leave it as found, with the oakleys you put on. Aftermarket add ons were always the way to go back then and having a few on your bike make it look more vintage "correct" in my book.

Gebolys77 said:
This is one I got for 60 bucks
5EECD756-F0EF-41CB-BE05-F12A6F1255FA-252-0000001D226AEBB1.jpg

78F71839-AA2E-45BE-8BB0-1992A18CB1EC-375-000000DFE0C6E09F.jpg

2732773E-FEBA-4C19-8D12-4D259BFF1033-252-0000001D4F345348.jpg

I know man...yours from this fall and another one, a garage sale find this summer, have steady been on my mind ! I will admit to a little of this :mrgreen: in the last few months looking at your post. We oughta start some kinda Over 30 under 100 Mongoose Club!

Latest posts

Back