Helmets

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jerrykr said:
Somewhere I read that if your helmet takes a hit for you, even one time, that it's toast, and you should buy a new one for the next accident. Does anyone know if that's true?
On the modern lightweight racing style helmets, yes. One good blow is all it takes the compromise the integrity of the material under the shell. They give their lives to save yours. Multisport helmet (skate style helmets) are a bit different...thicker shells mean they are not bothered by smaller blows that would cripple a lighter helmet, but again, one good shot and it' toast.

jerrykr said:
Somewhere I read that if your helmet takes a hit for you, even one time, that it's toast, and you should buy a new one for the next accident. Does anyone know if that's true?

this depends on the hit. the older foam helmets were that way mainly because there was nothing to protect the foam from absorbing any form of impact. if it falls from your bars to the ground i am sure you would be fine. the newer helmets with the hard shell are much sturdier for smaller impacts. the force is distributed over a greater area reducing the amount of impact in a single area. the mfg specs say that no helmet should be subjected to more than one severe impact, i guess its up to you to determine the severity of impact.

many of the newer hard shell helmets are made from various materials. ranging from plastic composite, to fiberglass, even carbon fiber. things like painting your helmet, or with incorrect paint or technique, or even subjecting it to certain chemicals, can also adversely affect the safety of your brain bucket.

Bigcam59 said:
jerrykr said:
On the modern lightweight racing style helmets, yes. One good blow is all it takes the compromise the integrity of the material under the shell. They give their lives to save yours. Multisport helmet (skate style helmets) are a bit different...thicker shells mean they are not bothered by smaller blows that would cripple a lighter helmet, but again, one good shot and it' toast.

WHAT HE SAID. ha lol

A helmet could save your skulll...but it could also break your neck.

You decide.

I never wear a brain bucket when cruising. I didn't even own one until a month ago when I entered a mountain bike race and it was mandatory to wear one....so I bought a satin black bmx style one with speakers in it to hook up your IPOD or MP3. Kind of a cool feature but I still won't wear it unless I am going to go on a forest trail or something like that.

Sorry to hear about your buddy Hooch. That sure would be an eye opener for sure. I would have to say though that the odds cant be to high of that happening while cruising a paved trail. JMO

I've always heard that if you have one serious drop on your helmet, replace it. That's kind of a MTB self imposed law. I know the better companies often have a free or cheap replacement program that makes the more expensive helmets more affordable should you mess yours up. I wear mine always when MTB'ing but seldom when I'm riding one of my cruisers. W/ the cruisers,I'm riding much slower and am definitely not taking the same risks that I do w/ my MTB. Also, I choose to ride less traveled areas (as far as cars go). But accidents do I happen, so perhaps I should reconsider it...I know it's safer, but it's so bloody hot here in Texas to wear one from about April through November! :(

after that pic :shock: im gonna get me one of these

Spaceballs_helmet.JPG

MagicRat said:

You decide.

that makes sense? :? :roll:

I agree its totally up to the rider, if you dont want to wear a helmet then have at er'. but for the $20 for a cheap helmet is it not worth it? I dont care if your mr macho and you dont look cool but what about after that split second that accident happens and poof your brain damaged, disfigured and now your wife, kids, or whomever now have to devote there life to now taking care of you because you physically cant.... is it worth it?? stop thinking of how it impacts your coolness and how it will affect your loved ones lives after "your" accident because of "your" choices. there called accidents for a reason.

my uncle was 21 when he had his accident and years in a comma he passed away from his accident. never got to start a life. like another member said I wear a helmet 98% of the time the other 2 im cruising around my block trying out something or just outside to be outside. but you still have to be careful and protect your self a 200 pound guy on a 50 pound bike will never beat a 3000 pound car

MagicRat said:

You decide.

I have heard this many times so I spent some time researching it on the internet and from what I understand this is a myth attributed to the opposition to motorcycle helmet laws
I posted this topic to make people rethink helmet wearing and never would tell anyone they have to wear one I believe its a choice

I found this on a motorcycle safety website but seems to me the general thought

The first popular myth is that helmets break necks. This seems like a somewhat logical idea if one considers that a helmet puts more weight on one’s head which can create more weight
when the rider is thrown from the motorcycle and then snap one’s neck.
Unfortunately, a lot more thought goes into the design of helmets making this entire myth ridiculous. The helmets that are approved by transportation departments have the ability
to absorb the energy in a crash that is capable of breaking a rider’s neck upon impact. Helmeted motorcyclists actually suffer far fewer neck injuries than those who do not wear helmets.

The second myth is that helmets block a rider’s ability to see or to hear danger coming. This sounds good except that the statistics that exist show that riders who have helmets crash less
frequently than those without them. No one is quite sure why this correlation exists but it does.

A third myth is that helmets don’t help in most crashes. This myth comes from the relatively low test speeds for helmets. People assume that helmets are not tested quickly because
they won’t do any good at higher speeds.
This is a fine assumption except that statistically speaking, the majority of accidents happen at low speeds within the range in which helmets are tested.

Back