Help choosing a road bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've been thinking about getting a road bike for some time now. I really don't know anything about them but some of them are awesome. I was wondering what can i get for $500.00 or less? What would be the right size for me since I am only 5'7". I plan on a ride from Long Beach(flat area) to the Valley(which is all hills) and its a 40-50 mile ride. Any help in the right direection would help alot.

5'7" you prob. need a 54cm, maybe 52cm. most likely 54cm. As far as getting something brand new for 500, I'm not sure. I know of a Black, 24" Schwinn for 200. lol. Specialized is prob. at the top of there game for road bikes right now. You should go to the LBS and look around, test ride some. But, for 500, you could probably get a vintage Schwinn frame and build it up, Thats what I did. I know there are some guys on here that work in bike shops, hopefully they will chime in.

Yea, road bikes can be alot of fun!!! I should post pics of mine.

definitly hit up your LBS and test ride them.. they are all different..for some reason all the MFG are measuring there bikes differently.. picked up a Specialize Roubaix last year w/ 105 components.. not cheap but mid range tourer.

unfortunatly good road bikes start $1000 + you will totally see the difference when you start riding them, all metal components vs.. part plastic.. etc..

if it is something you are going to get into .. go big and you will love it and stick with it.

the new Schwinns are alright.. decent right up in BICYCLING.

I agree with cman, used road bikes are under appreciated and undervalued in a lot of markets right now. I've seen dozens of good quality bikes at flea markets and pawn shops for less than $200. If you choose to buy used, take your time and refer to Bikepedia and bikeforums.net to be sure of what you're buying.

Good luck with the ride!

Back