Help cleaning decades of build up...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions...

Well I ended up just taking a hacksaw to my crank as the pedal was on there good and took off the chain finally. So after a couple months I am finally down to just a frame.

Now I am just looking over the nooks and crannies of this thing. Is it best to just take a wire brush and get the build up off of everything that way?

Also the kick stand, how do I get it out of the sleeve holding it to the frame? The sleeve is welded to the frame. Would it be best to just torch it off? I can probably salvage the actual kickstand, just need to get all the rust off.

Primer. When putting on the primer and paint, what parts of the frame should I mask off? Are there any spots that if painted could affect performance, i.e. bearings?

Thanks in advance!

you can pop out the bearing cups for the steering and crank bearings. then throw them on the wire wheel before pressing them back in. it will look nice.

which side pedal was stuck? you do know that the left pedal has left hand threads right? so to take it out, you have to turn it to the right. sorry if i'm insulting you - don't mean to.

i use wire brushes for those purposes all the time. i usually remove the headset and bottom bracket bearing cups before paint. if its your first paint job i wouldnt mask anything. just get a feel for what your doin first. keep in mind most of the paint job is the prep before painting. when installing pedals, front ends etc...try putting just a "smidgeon" (check the rat rod dictionary) of grease on the threads before installation, it'll make it a bit easier to get 'em off later.
fast eddie outty

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
you can pop out the bearing cups for the steering and crank bearings. then throw them on the wire wheel before pressing them back in. it will look nice.

which side pedal was stuck? you do know that the left pedal has left hand threads right? so to take it out, you have to turn it to the right. sorry if i'm insulting you - don't mean to.
Probably going to replace all bearings actually. Since I think I lost a few of the ball bearings...oops.

It was the reverse side that was stuck, i tried and tried days of WD-40 and PB Blaster to no avail. I wasn't going to reuse the crank anyways and it was about 10 minutes to hack it off. Not insulting at all, I am a noob, haha.

fast eddie said:
i use wire brushes for those purposes all the time. i usually remove the headset and bottom bracket bearing cups before paint. if its your first paint job i wouldnt mask anything. just get a feel for what your doin first. keep in mind most of the paint job is the prep before painting. when installing pedals, front ends etc...try putting just a "smidgeon" (check the rat rod dictionary) of grease on the threads before installation, it'll make it a bit easier to get 'em off later.
fast eddie outty
Yea first paint job, so just hang it up and have at it huh? Yea going to have to get some more fine grit sand paper as I left it outside and it is starting to get some rust streaks on it again.

Thanks for the tips!

i always sand the whole thing w/ a fine grit then i clean it thourughly w/ turpentine to make sure it's dry just before the first (very thin) coat of primer. i let the primer cure for one week. then i 'sand' the whole thing with a peice of cotton (old sox or t-shirts) then shoot a second thin coat of primer and let is cure another week, then rub down with cotton again. this usually gives me a good base and i dont normally do a 3rd coat. when i paint i start the spray in air and bring it over the peice being painted to the other side and stop in air. this is a good technique. ya gotta get a feel for the nozzle on the can (if your rattlecaning.) and buy the ones with the better nozzles that advertise a better spray, its worth it for sure. let each coat of paint dry a few days before adding another, and always apply a thin coat,drips are ugly!
fast eddie outty

Latest posts

Back