Help finding the correct white walls

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I picked up this Columbia Thunderbolt yesterday off a friend of mine that I plan to fix up over the christmas period. I was wanting to get some advice on the best white walls to get for it.

I took the front wheel off my JC Higgins bike to see what the white walls would look like thinking I could order the same tires online but they dont fit. They are 26 x 2.125 and they scrape on the side of the fork and fender braces so I am needing a smaller tire...

Does anyone know what size tire I would need for the bike? Below is a picture stolen from the internet and I like that their tires still look fairly large (and obviously fit the bike) so I am after something similar. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

If the 2.125 tires are just barely rubbing, you might find some 26x1.95 online. I have never searched for WW in this size, but I'd imagine they are available
Edit: did some quick checks and only whitewalls I found bigger than 1.75 were 26x2"x1 3/4. Those measurements remind me of a tire sold only to fit 26" Schwinn s7 wheels, so they might not be the best choice. PJ is likely right. 1.75 might be the best option

Last edited:
cool thanks guys. It has been impossible to find decent white walls in the UK/Europe for that matter but I managed to find these ones in Italy. They are KENDA 26 x 1.75...hopefully they look ok. Thanks everyone for the help :thumbsup:

Nick?
I gave that same Kenda in 26 x 2.125 on a 'typical' rim. It runs kind of narrow at about 50-52mm wide inflated. It fits under middleweight fender easily too.
4776b47e2910fb900a08ab71c03494ce.jpg

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick?
I gave that same Kenda in 26 x 2.125 on a 'typical' rim. It runs kind of narrow at about 50-52mm wide inflated. It fits under middleweight fender easily too.
4776b47e2910fb900a08ab71c03494ce.jpg

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hhhmmm I just got home and measured the tires I already have and they are approx 50 - 52mm wide inflated also. I guess I will need to play it safe and get the 1.75 as it will be a costly mistake if they didnt fit as well (the postage isn't cheap). Im sure my girlfriend couldn't care less about the tyres but it will bug the heck out of me if its not right haha

So the tyres arrived from Italy and I managed to put them on the bike this weekend. They look really nice although I would have liked if they were a bit bigger but oh well...

Any ideas on how to get rid of the black KENDA logo on the whitewall?

Back