Help ID a Hawthorne Please!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. After wanting a vintage bike for a while (I'm a vintage kinda gal :wink: ) I recently bought this Ward's Hawthorne. It was the handlebars that 'spoke' to me...I had never seen any quite like them. After a LITTLE research, I know the bike is a skip-tooth. Underneath the red-spray paint *cry-cry-cry*, which I'm slowly removing with acetone, the bike is a blue with white trim. The chainguard, under the silver paint is white. I was able to locate some serial numbers after removing some paint: on seat post, stamped horizontally AROUND the curve, D320110, and under the crank is 74FH. I've already had someone tell me on a previous post that this latter stamp dates the bike to 1947 and the frame is a Snyder, however, I'm having trouble locating a picture of ANY bike from that year with the same handlebars as mine. Anyhoo, there's wisdom in a multitude of counselors, so if there is anyone willing to throw in their 2 cents I'd appreciate it! I just want to replace any missing parts (I know for certain it needs grips, reflectors, and pretty sure it had a fender mounted headlamp) and get it rideable :) If by some small miracle someone has a pic or catalog listing for this or similar bike, that would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!

FullViewRt.jpg

FrontWheel.jpg

FrontBadge.jpg

ChainGuard.jpg

HandleBars.jpg

RearView.jpg

CrankBottomSN.jpg

RvealedAccents.jpg

It looks like it is a Snyder built bike, probably late 1940s or early 1950s. I'm sure somebody will know more specifically.

Back