Help ID JC HIGGINS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c9c8c39fc02a94bb0a6204a1caaa395f.jpg
this is my first HIGGINS. All pics I find online don't tell me anything. 24" rims and cool head badge. Light still works too.
bb3ba5c450a7bf9f3e943abd25729faf.jpg
6934c01ad79e96e89770320b4d477928.jpg

Last edited:
J.C. Higgins brand bikes were 1963 and earlier. Yours is a W. German made model, it looks like it says that on the headbadge also. Sold by Sears Dept stores, J.C. Higgins bikes had different manufacturers over the years. I think Puch was the name of the company that built that bike. After 1963, then they all branded "Sears" instead of J.C. Higgins.

I've got the 26" boys version also mfg in Germany. Nice riding bike - seems like the gooseneck/handlebar area is weak prob gonna have to swap it out soon.

Wisconsin, this one is fresh from an estate sale. Wife surprised me with it. I would normally do all my research before spending $95 on a bike. So not the same bike but I'm curious what did the one go for on Craig's list?

Cool bike. I like the front light. What part of WI? I am down in Kenosha. Thanks, Matt

Thanks, I like the front light too, didn't want to show on pics but part of the light casing is broke out but in good enough fix somehow. Just outside of Appleton.

These generally date to 1956. The story goes that there was a US factory strike that year, so Sears turned to their Euro supplier, Daimler/Puch/Steyr, who made the 3 speed touring bikes with the JC Higgins chain ring. These had a non stainless head badge, unlike the US bikes. And the typical Euro 3 piece crank. -Adam

Back