help ID this rim.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now, ain't that special? We're looking fer the same rim! :)

except mine is on a 45-7, western flyer, I'm hunting it's serial currently but, I think frame made by CWC: C20452 A Cw. fits that time frame.

And Mine has the old Bendix 70, made in USA hub.

Whenever I actually looked photos at this bike I already knew it was prob 46-9, although currently digging fer more on dating this. but, these here rims especially wit bendix brake is tossing me for a loop. regardless while not identified yet,, I gots at least some time peiod going here fer ya and they're balloon too.

You can also, xactly as yours, just see the faint stripe on em too. Cept, mine got's plenty rust hovering there, but it's identical.

Otasco Flying O tire, 26 x 2.125 .

PA030435.jpg

SNC20452A40-50girlsWF.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, they're typical of 50s CWC/AMFs. The one w/the Bendix must have been relaced with the later hub. Or a newer arm, the newer hubs have diagonal lines stamped in, while the red bands are smooth chrome. -Adam

Perhaps newer arm,, is there any dating data on the Morrow designed slotted skip tooth sprocket Bendix 36-13, without "Elmira, NY" or "Made in USA.. That's just plain
"Bendix
36-13" on it?

Last edited:
Yes, they're typical of 50s CWC/AMFs. The one w/the Bendix must have been relaced with the later hub. Or a newer arm, the newer hubs have diagonal lines stamped in, while the red bands are smooth chrome. -Adam

This looks like Bendix's patent for them. Published nov. 1944,, patented nov 1945. and it is the earliest application to it. Bendix refers to it into 1966.

https://www.google.com/patents/US2410785?dq=ininventor:"Elliott Hood Edwin"&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UsI6VIifFKPnsAT9j4LIBQ&ved=0CCsQ6wEwAjgK

Their chief engineer, inventor: Elliott Hood Edwin is the guy for two speed automatic in 1954. He's got a bunch of inventions, refiled applications wit bendix.

https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=pts&hl=en&q=ininventor:"Elliott Hood Edwin"

generally when patent is filed, it also marks the period they began creating the production set up. So you'll see the item before it got approved. Regardless 1945 1st production on war bikes? .

Unfortunately, I have not cracked open a brake hub in over 40 year. But I guess dating could be done each time they improved it.

Unless, somebody knows the dates, periods, bendix changed their hub stamp.

Back