Help IDing old Huffy (?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up on Craigslist for $25 for no reason at all and then shortly after discovered the wonderful world of Rat Rod Bicycles!
So this is my current project. It was spray painted very badly so i am removing the paint at the moment.

I have no idea if any of it is original or even Huffy. The seller said that he was pretty sure it was a 1972.
What do you think?

2egd7rp.jpg

j5cdw8.jpg

Here are the serial numbers i found while removing the paint:

2iu3m90.jpg

qxvus1.jpg

Thanks for reading!
I really hope someone can help!

I have one just like it, the early sportsman was a re-badged Raleigh's, sometime in the late 60's they switched to what I am guessing was a huffy frame with japanese parts. thats what we have..

This is a 71 or late Huffy, going by the BMI sticker on the seat tube, right above the Huffy decal. It has the mag sprocket and shimano 3 speed like yours, but has the Huffy forks, not the english forks, so I think yours is older than 1971. It looks like they just painted over the original paint a couple times. If you could scrape the paint away, you could see if it has a BMI sticker, they were all in just about the same spot on the seat tube. If it does, it's 71 or later. If that is a zero after the H on the serial number, it's probably a 1970 going by what I have read concerning Huffys, the first digit is the last digit of the year.

23rq2c3.jpg

Back