HELP! I'm buying a new bike - need advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post...it looks like I came to the right place.

I'm looking to buy a new bike. I'm willing to spend $300-500. I LOVE the look of some of the Electra bikes (Sparker, Straight 8, etc.). I really want the look of a true "ratrod" bike, I just don't have the skills or time to build my own. So the trick is to buy something that is stock, that looks as close to what I want as possible without having to do much (if any) customization.

I'm partial to the all black look, I like matte finishes. I like fat tires. I don't need pins stripes, and I would love something with minimal (no) graphics. I want something that is built well and will last me a long time. I might want a 3-speed internal...but I'm open to suggestions. I like the simple, clean look of a single speed bike, but I live in New England and we've got hills!

No bike shops around me have any Electra's on the floor, so I'm just going off the catalog and internet. I'm a little nervous to just throw down $500 for a bike I've never seen, let alone ridden. Does anybody have any advice for me? Are there other brands I should be considering? Does anybody have a bike like this for sale out there? HELP!

I appreciate your help and feedback.

What ArtGeco said. I would go with a used frame and build it up as you like.

I have some issues with Electra's QC. Some bikes are great, many not so much. My LBS has replaced and re-spoked scores of Electra wheels.

Especially if you are a heavier rider.The machine built wheels pale in comparison to a decent set of hand built or a vintage steel set.

My personal Electra Townie is a bit of a nightmare. Two re-spokes. Failed BB after one summer. Stock Cheng Shin tires died way too soon. A thousand pinch flats until I switched out to a Bontrager Cruiser B tire. The bike also suffers from "axle suck." The drive side of the rear end is always sucked towards the front of the bike, causing dropped chains. Super bad mojo on a coaster bike.

$500 goes a really long way in used parts. I you have this kind of cash to burn, I would find a vintage frame ($20-$100) and build it around a hand built wheelset (roughly $200). I would run MTB rims and a vintage coaster (assuming your LBS can work on them), a newer KT 1-Speed, as they are easy to service, or modern multi-speed hub. This would give some vintage style mixed with hundreds of modern tire choices. Not to mention outlasting the machine built wheels many times over.

I won't even get into aluminum over steel frames.

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. However, I am not looking to build a bike. I don't have the time right now between running my own graphic design business (from home) and watching my 7-month-old daughter...I'll be lucky to just get out and ride my bike!

I'm just looking for advice on new bikes to purchase from a LBS in my area. I wanted to know about different brands, their quality (paint, ride, componets, comfort, etc.). Like I said before I like the look of some of the Electra's but want to know if there are other brands to consider.

These are the bikes/brands I'm considering:

Electra (Coaster, Cruiser, Sparker, Straight 8), Kustom Kruisers (G7 Glide), Nirve (Classic, Inferno, and Red Star), Trek (Cruiser Classic, and Drift 1/3 Surf and Star), Hampton Cruisers (Deluxe, Classic, and Brownie), Haro (Zimzala Buster), Raleigh (RetroGlide, and Special), Schwinn (SS-X), Marin (Drakes Beach), Giant (Simple Single), Diamond Back (DellaCruz 1.0), Micargi, Felt, SixThreeZero, and Firmstrong

Anybody care to weigh in?

Thanks again!

I own 3 Electra bikes...they are worth the money...you won't be disappointed.

One thing that you can't tell by looking at them online or in a catalog is the size of the bikes.

They are large bikes and are very impressive when you stand next to one.

The aluminum models like the Sparker Special are VERY lightweight and super easy/comfortable to ride.

Don't get me wrong...I love the vintage stuff, but they just don't compare comfort-wise to the Electras.

DSC_0016.jpg

I would ride as many as you can before you make your decision. If you're buying a new bike, I would go with one with an aluminum frame. I've ridden a few aluminum frames and they are easy and comfy to ride. As far as looks, that's up to you. I think the Nirve's are pretty spiffy looking, and the Zimzala looks pretty cool too. I like the aluminum cranks and lighter weight stuff on a lot of the newer bikes. You can always switch out parts if you want to customize anyway. My .02

jeff

i would ride them first like ratdaddy says, hate for ya to spend that much money on a new bike if it didnt fit ya. I like the ELECTRA stuff too, but I would also look at FELT bicycles, maybe even NIRVE too. RALEIGH on KONA also sell some really nice cruiser bikes too. And dont forget about Schwinn (not the Wal-mart bikes, the BIKE SHOP BIKES) Ive got 3 newer schwinns and theyre still pretty good bikes for the $ despite no longer being made here. There alot of new cruiser style bikes out there, all a little different style wise. just look around and see which you like best, but your money is prbly better spent on the ike youd ride the most IMO.

Thanks guys.

I think I'm going out this weekend to purchase an Electra Sparker. What is a fair price to pay for this? Do LBS negotiate the price at all? I haven't bought a bike in years.

I just don't know what color to get...I thought I was sold on the all black...but seeing the lighter color one has me re-thinking that....has anyone seen the matte red finish or have any photos to post? If you got one - or know someone who does - please post pics!

Thanks again

mwalas said:
... Do LBS negotiate the price at all? I haven't bought a bike in years...

not really, a good rule of thumb is to see what they sell, if they sell a bunch of "trade-in" bikes, they may be willing to negotiate but usually not on new bikes. if all your see is new bikes or high dollar classics then almost definately NO haggling.

some give ya a small discount on accessories when you by a new bike though, but not all of them

Back