HELP ME! i have a stuck stem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know there was a post on this before but i cant find it. i need my fork and my stem outa my 79 schwinn bmx with out messing any parts up how do i get the stem lose?

first is it steel stem and steel fork? or aluminum and steel?
soak in something like liquid wrench or pb blaster over night then pull the bars stick it in a vice(lined with wood or cardboard so it doesnt mar it) twist the forks and it might break loose.....
if that doesnt work you could heat it with a plumbers torch(propane) and try tapping it with a hammer
if its dissimilar metals(aluminum and steel)im pretty sure mastershake said soak it in ammonia and thatd break the bond

Liquid Wrench / PB Blaster. Apply it into the crevices that are holding 3-4 times waiting 45 minutes between applications, then let it sit over night. Should loosen up like butter.

On one of my bikes, the stem was stuck, but I was able to loosen up the bolt that goes down through there, then tap on it, which pushed the wedge part back down.

You can also try tapping the wedge through the bottom of the fork with some long, skinny and strong. I used some 1/4" all thread.

thanks guys for the help i will try these ideas,, are you sure i wont strip the threads in the wedge if i tap on the bolt?

Back