Help! monark fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally found an old monark springer fork, and I need some help to make it fit my build off bike.
First, four bolts at fork blade ends to pivot plate, do longer bolts go on front or back?
Second, head tube on my bike 5 1/4 inches, steering tube on fork if I put bearing race as low as possible 5 3/4 inches. What is the best remedy, have a machine shop tap threads 1 1/2 inches farther down steer tube? Then would I have them make me a spacer to fit under headset locknut? should that be threaded?
Any other suggestions would help. Thanks!

The longer bolts go on the back. The reason they are longer is to allow for the addition of the fender brace. You will probably have to make some washers fit to take up the slack if you dont run a front fender. The two options you have on the tube being too long is to thread the tube more and then cut off the excess..sometimes I think you might loose the groove for the washer with the little piece that sticks in there....Or find a spacer that is the right length that you can put underneath the bottom race and fix it that way. Hope this makes sense

I've done the spacer between the fork crown and bottom race before, works fine, you'll probably need to shim the race to the steer tube. I used steel tape, others have used sliced beer cans, or even :shock: actual shims!

Thanks for advice, I had not thought of using a spacer on the bottom race, might be the easiest fix. Thank you

Oh yeah I forgot about that part because most forks have that bigger part at the last 1/2'' that once you put a spacer in there you will have to shim the race. :roll: I should have thought of that.

Latest posts

Back