Help needed with my Hawthorne tank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I removed the tank from my CWC Hawthorne, to be used on my Roadmaster. Problem is, I don't see how the back part of the tank is held together...There are holes in both sides, one larger than the other, but no bracket, nothing to put a bolt into, like in the front of the tank. Was there a special fastener originally with the tank? Is there some way I can substitute something for it?

Here's the tank...Notice the 2 holes in the back:

001wau.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Originally I think there was a nut and a screw. The nut looked sort of like the head off of a countersunk screw that had a threaded hole in it.The nut was pobably in the bigger hole and a countersunk screw went in the other hole.

Hi Chad,

Some of the postwar CWC tanks used a rear fastener that has a threaded counter sunk machine screw on the one side and a long internally threaded tubular fastener with a larger countersunk head on the side with the large hole. The two pieces are about equal in length. I don't know if they are truly specific to CWC or a more generic piece of hardware but are probably not easy to find either way. I have one tank that uses that fastener and will send you a picture if I can locate it. If you can't find the exact piece you could probably use two appropriately sized machine screws and mate them with a threaded collar inside the tank.

rms37 said:
Hi Chad,

Some of the postwar CWC tanks used a rear fastener that has a threaded counter sunk machine screw on the one side and a long internally threaded tubular fastener with a larger countersunk head on the side with the large hole. The two pieces are about equal in length. I don't know if they are truly specific to CWC or a more generic piece of hardware but are probably not easy to find either way. I have one tank that uses that fastener and will send you a picture if I can locate it. If you can't find the exact piece you could probably use two appropriately sized machine screws and mate them with a threaded collar inside the tank.

Thanks Phil,

Any help you could provide in locating such a fastener would be much appreciated. I figured it wouldn't be as simple as a bolt with 2 nuts on either side. My neighbor, who is a contractor, says he THINKS he has such a piece, he just has to find it. I'm hoping somebody out there who reads this, or hears about it, can hook me up with this mysterious fastener.

The screw at the bottom is what the original looks like, a 2 piece custom job. Both screw heads were too small I think, but you can make a good replacement that will fit flush using a 3/8-16 X 1/4-20 rod coupler and two hex head screws, got 'em at Ace Hardware.
top home made - bottom factory
IMG_1230.jpg

original
IMG_1233.jpg

new big side
IMG_1235.jpg

small side
IMG_1236.jpg

No problema, I'll make some measurements later on the thread length the 3/8 side is short maybe 1/2" of thread, 1/4 side probably on the order an inch or slightly more.

EDit 3/8 screw has 3/8" thread, 1/4 has 3/4"

Back