Help w/ ID on Hawthorne/Ward frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkme

𝐰𝐰𝐰.𝐟𝐫𝐮𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐚𝐤𝐞.𝐧𝐮𝐭
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys,
Anyone out there who can give me a year for this frame...26' ladies hawthorne/ward.
Has a straight bar to hold the rear fender.Serial NO: D99176...Thanx

180120121973.jpg

180120121975.jpg

190120121978.jpg

They didn't use a badge like that after 1947, and the ears on the rear dropouts suggest it's prewar. Also looks like a CWC frame. I'll leave it to Phil/rms37 for a closer date. -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
They didn't use a badge like that after 1947, and the ears on the rear dropouts suggest it's prewar. Also looks like a CWC frame. I'll leave it to Phil/rms37 for a closer date. -Adam
Thanx Adam have PM(Phil/rms37) as he seems to be the "God of Hawthornes",but still waiting on reply.

This frame is from a Cleveland Welding bicycle produced for Montgomery Ward. The serial number dates the production to about the middle of 1939 which was the first calendar year of production for this specific frame style. CWC produced this design through 1942. While this bike dates to 1939, it is one of the designs that was sold by MW but not illustrated in their catalogs at that time so it will take the discovery of a complete identical bicycle to clearly determine the exact original specification of this one.

rms37 said:
This frame is from a Cleveland Welding bicycle produced for Montgomery Ward. The serial number dates the production to about the middle of 1939 which was the first calendar year of production for this specific frame style. CWC produced this design through 1942. While this bike dates to 1939, it is one of the designs that was sold by MW but not illustrated in their catalogs at that time so it will take the discovery of a complete identical bicycle to clearly determine the exact original specification of this one.
Thanx phil,
Would it be classified as a rare frame or quite common?
I love the curves of the frame,wonderful shape paid $40.
Will do a gender reassignment,and eventually turn into a boardtracker.

It is conditionally rare in that I have not seen this pattern frame badged as a Hawthorne that is serialed this early. The pattern itself is relatively common and was produced for MW in fairly large numbers in 1940-41

Latest posts

Back