Help with crank and BB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,
Just picked up a genesis Onyx and am not sure what tools I need to remove crank and BB. I know I need crank removal tool and BB removal tool but just don't know what type? I apologize if this has been asked before, I've been searching the net and just can't seem to find specifics in relation to my bike. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

The Onyx doesn't have a seal cartridge bottom bracket. It has the old European set up with loose bearings. On the none drive side there will be a ring that threads over a cup which is threaded into the bottom bracket. Take the ring off the cup with pliers or put a screw driver in the notches and tap it loose. The threads on that side are standard righty tighty lefty loosy. When you get the ring of you now can undo the little bearing cup. Pull the axle out and two bearings. Then take the drive side off. Drive side is reverse threading. You will need a crank arm puller to take the crank arms off. If you replace the bottom bracket with a cartridge you will need a tool to install that as well. Make sure you torque the cartridge to spec or it will come loose. Take extreme caution not to cross thread the bottom bracket. Hand thread everything as far as you can before taking a tool to it. Good luck I hope this helps.

The Onyx doesn't have a seal cartridge bottom bracket. It has the old European set up with loose bearings. On the none drive side there will be a ring that threads over a cup which is threaded into the bottom bracket. Take the ring off the cup with pliers or put a screw driver in the notches and tap it loose. The threads on that side are standard righty tighty lefty loosy. When you get the ring of you now can undo the little bearing cup. Pull the axle out and two bearings. Then take the drive side off. Drive side is reverse threading. You will need a crank arm puller to take the crank arms off. If you replace the bottom bracket with a cartridge you will need a tool to install that as well. Make sure you torque the cartridge to spec or it will come loose. Take extreme caution not to cross thread the bottom bracket. Hand thread everything as far as you can before taking a tool to it. Good luck I hope this helps.

Sounds good thank you for your help. Gonna be taking it apart to grease everything up good since it sounds a bit dry. So this far all it sounds like I need is a crank puller. Any recommendations ? Thanks again

Your LBS should have a few options but you can never go wrong with Park tools. Same goes with the crank arm puller, make sure you don't cross thread them and make sure it is threaded in all the way. I have seen people rip half the threads out because the tool wasn't threaded in all the way.

Latest posts

Back