Help with Excell mark iv coster brake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it locked up on me and I got the arm off and the lock ring, sprocket and now I'm at a loss. how do I get this thing apart? I have been thinking about throwing it in the river and finding a red stripe, but that would mean it won

Is that the one with the square end on the axle? If so, I think you have to put a wrench on that end and unscrew the axle from the hub.

no, it has a round end and the part that holds the sprocket, the other end has the housing for the brake arm. I thought that it would pull off ar pry off, but I dont want to ruin it. I think if I could get the part that the sprocket goes on i could find said bolt.

If I remember correctly that hub is a rebranded Perry. If you post a pic of the hub shell and the brake arm I could tell you for sure. Here is a Perry rebuild thread if that is what it is.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33275

The axle should have a square end on the sprocket side to unscrew it from the hub.

that's how i remember the excell.

if the axle doesn't have flats on the drive side try gripping it in an axle vise or grinding a couple flats of your own- doesn't have to be square.

then use the recessed brake arm as a sort of wrench to unscrew the left side while the axle is held stationary by the right side and follow cameron's instructions... :wink:

Yeah, the end had flats, I dont know why I never noticed it, I got it loose enough to turn. I dont want to get into it right now, but now I know I can. Thanks guys.

I would recommend rebuilding it. After 40-50 years it is a safe bet that the grease is no longer lubricating as it should. The rebuild only takes about an hour and will save you headaches trying to find replacement parts that haven't been made decades.

Thanks Cameron, I will rebuild it before I use it. I just moved on to another bike, but I will have it taken care of before I give the bike away as a wedding gift to a friend. Besides the crank turns when I roll the bike, and I dont like that.

Latest posts

Back