help with research

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPJ

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello I would like some help with some research. I'm a Grafic design student and I need to find info on the subject "compare and contrast straight frames and curved frames in Bicycle design". I know there's a wealth of info here, I need stuff I can reference in an essay. I have found a small amount of useful stuff, but more is better, and you never know till you ask. Any help you can give would be excellent and appreciated. thanks

i am assuming you are comparing say modern day "diamond" style frames to those of the more traditional cruisers that we know and love. it is interesting to look at it in a way of design because sure a straight diamond frame is stronger and cheaper to build but a traditional cruiser type frame just has so much style. not to say that there are not those out there with straight tubes that are nice to look at. many early bicycles used straight tubes but still were able to add flair to these designs.

yes that's what I'm doing, not finding much about it so have to make it. even opinions as to why you like this style would be helpfull

thanks

if you look at some of the designs from the mid-late 30s to the 50s they were art, the flow of a bluebird, the tank designs, twinflex frames, the different fork designs, diamond frames have been around almost as long as bikes but look so industrial compared to the lines and curves of cruisers.

totally it is funny how bikes have emulated the styles of the times. in the 30's schwinn used their motor cycle name and put it on bikes even making the bikes look like them. 40's was all art deco, 50's taking styling q's from Detroit. 60's was space age with lots of bikes named after jets, and rockets. late 60's 70's came the muscle bikes with banana seats and shifters again to try and give them the feel of a muscle car. as to why i like them i guess because come on they are cool. as far as the custom end goes there are many trends too from rusty original paint bikes to boardtrackers, to full on show stretch bikes. i think a lot of us like how there are really no rules you can let your imagination go and thats what makes it fun.

Those curved frames initially designed for kids just have the right attitude from the start when you want to customize a bike. When customizing, 99% of us take cues from hotrods and chopper motorcycles. The majority of those vehicles' original designs are also old, have curves, and are low(ered). The curved frame really represents mid-century americana. From a time and place when/where attitude is of more importance than praticallity. These frames are basically meant for just leasure / cruising. Not for every day transport or commuting. (or speed, or stunts, or off roading, etc) Today's curved frames (for instance Electra / Dyno) are resurected because of the retro-trend. Most of them have the looks of something designed in the 50's, but at the same time are also comfortable for grown ups. Just like the Prowler, or the New Beetle, or the New Mustang, or the New Camaro... It's yesterdays looks with todays comfort.

Diamondframe-design is essential, minimal, practical, logical, and in the end stronger and lighter.
I deffinately call that art too...

The fact that they are so common (not without reason) just makes them for many of us less desirable and more difficult to personalize / customize and give it the hotrod-vibe. (don't forget the 50's inspired aftermarket-partsindustry! For 28" diamondframes it doesn't exist on a scale like it does for the 24"/26" cruiserbicycles...)

For me, living in Europe, I feel that I have to give my attention to these diamondframes. Hotrodding is not just visual... To me a hotrod must have some soul. A history of it's own... The diamondframe is part of my Dutch herritage. These are the bikes of MY past. I absolutely love a good cantileverframe ...but I guess it's more natural for me to take a diamondframe and try to make a hotrod out of that.

The diamond frame is more rigid because of it's design, the cantilever curvy frames have more flex to them, so they have a more comfortable ride. If the angles of the frame, mainly the head tube and seat tube, are angled back, then the ride is even more comfortable but not as efficient.

Just an observation, and I don't know if this will help you with your research, but:

I work at a large manufacturing plant, where bicycles and golf cars are used to get around the large buildings. The bikes are ridden by people of all sizes, but most are men approaching 200+ pounds or even heavier. The bikes are all cantilever frames, everything from older Schwinn Typhoon middle weights to the heavy duty Worksman balloon tired bikes.

The only bikes that even approach the diamond frame design are the 3 wheelers with metal boxes for hauling small items, and they are all a step thru design, but straight bars.

Hope this helps.

Back