Help with Schwinn headset

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need a Schwinn headset. Or, if you wanna go shiny, try a Tioga Beartrap 2. Or, Porkchop sells a cheap but good VP unit and they'll even toss in a 27.0mm crown race, in case your fork is JIS-spec.... Basically, the Chicago Schwinns have a 32.5 ID headtube; some other old-timey makers were even wider than that. (Murrays were particularly huge...but most modern bikes take a 30.2 or 30.0 headcup....)

You need a Schwinn headset. Or, if you wanna go shiny, try a Tioga Beartrap 2. Or, Porkchop sells a cheap but good VP unit and they'll even toss in a 27.0mm crown race, in case your fork is JIS-spec.... Basically, the Chicago Schwinns have a 32.5 ID headtube; some other old-timey makers were even wider than that. (Murrays were particularly huge...but most modern bikes take a 30.2 or 30.0 headcup....)
Thanks. Good info to know. I'll try a Schwinn Headset. The headset that was on the DX is different than my 50s - 70s Schwinns. The DX had cups top and bottom instead of the top race that I found on my other later Schwinns so that had me confused.

The Schwinn headset with the upside-down top cup is the Deluxe headset; either headset will fit the frame. I think the Deluxe sets are really rad, but either headset is pretty dang good.... the steel they used BITD was just so danged hard, right?

The Schwinn headset with the upside-down top cup is the Deluxe headset; either headset will fit the frame. I think the Deluxe sets are really rad, but either headset is pretty dang good.... the steel they used BITD was just so danged hard, right?
They must have used the same steel in the BB. I will probably replace the BB cups, but they aren't that worn. Amazing for a 75 year old bike. The local bike co-op has a bin full of what looks like the Deluxe headsets, all in plastic packages and new. $10 each. I think I will buy a few, see if they fit, cheap enough.

I got the Porkchop VP and it fits. Thanks for your expertise.

Latest posts

Back