Hey guys, is this legit?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer, how can I tell?
I don't know much about old stingrays. What I did notice was the seat, stem and sissy bar brackets looked off.

Definitely a Black Friday Sting-Ray that was sold at Wal-Mart for $59.99 a couple of years ago.

These are cheap knock offs and they are the poorest quality repops that have been produced.

They were known to start rusting about a week or two after you put it together...unless you waxed it once a week. :lol:

Real Krate

1968%20Schwinn%20Stingray%20Orange%20Krate%206.jpg

Black Friday Krate

Screenshot2011-02-15at74029PM.png

ok, that helps a lot.
Differences that I see...what to look for on real Krates
1) bowed pedals
2) drum brake up front
3) Chain guard, chrome strip across the top
4) typical Schwinn stem
5) Multi-speed?
6) Sissy bars were spring loaded?

Its hard to just list the differences, you sort of have to study them for a while.

This only applies to the walmart. repop known as the Black Friday Krate which sold for $59 new. They are very poor quality, good to rob the slick and springer for an original though.

Schwinn sissy bars only mounted to the axle for the first year or so, otherwise they mounted behind the axle where the fender goes and are round. Original Krates had suspension sissy bars, standard stingrays and fastbacks did not. The repop also has that long flat spot where the seat bolts too, the originals were round all the way up

Chainguards on the repop is smooth while original is raised where the decal goes.

Sprocket on repop is smooth and doesn't have much definition of the "mag"

Repop's have a 20" springer with a 16" wheel while original krates had a 24" springer with a 16" wheel

originals never had front ducktail fender

The sticker on the top tube by the head tube is a dead give a way of a repop

pedals are plastic on the repop

Curious as to the "Black Friday" name. Is there a reason behind it or was it a factory name thing?

I would buy it, put a skiptooth chainring maybe a new departure triplspeed hub and call it a 1954 prototype!! :wink:

If I were trying to pass it off as a '70's stingray I'd at least take the ALLEN BOLT stem off and replace it :oops: . That's a dead giveaway. However at $90 It's not a horrible deal, I'd offer $50 and see what they said, Just for parts if nothing else.

It does give me an idea of what to do with my brats lowrider bike though. I have a boatload of old Schwinn parts. A few decals and an NOS shifter and it would look cool. :mrgreen:

Back