TRADITIONAL 🅵🅾🅾🅻🅸🅶🅰🅽 - 1930s Elgin Oriole

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used Queenfishes car to get another SG-3C41 nexus 3 wheel. Performed the gut transplant including putting the 22t cog I've been using on the new guts.
Time I finished the swap, she decided we need to go somewhere. So installation and testing will have to wait.

1000022019.jpg
1000022020.jpg

20240619_144848.jpg

Man, that sucks. At least nothing was stolen, right?

Nothing stolen, the car was still locked. Guess they were hoping for a smash and grab, but the smash wasn't complete and they got spooked. Like I said they only could have taken an old shovel, and a bag of landlord/bikehunter tools :D

Change of plans. Went to get in my car and found this.

View attachment 270104
They may have used one of those little hammer things that you would have in the glove box that's made to break the window for escape.
1718832915112.jpeg

But the break is at the very bottom of the window. Usually the intentional break is near the center, unless the perp wasn't watching what he was doing.
It may have been something else. I would look on the ground for a pellet or bb. I'm suspecting some kids doing some mischief because they didn't do anything else except the one hit.

I had a tubocharged minivan (1989 Voyager) that had the rear window shot out. It wasn't to steal anything, a neighbor had shot it out at midnight in retaliation. My idiot brother had yelled something racial as he drove by a day before. He wasn't invited over to my place ever again.

Last edited:
Went to install the wheel with the new guts and I was going to use the oushrod that was with these new guts. To rod didn't stick out as far as it should so I compared axle lengths and the new guts have a longer axle. So I pulled out the longer 87mm pushrod and installed the wheels. Took it down the lane a few times and all gears worked perfectly as well as the coaster brake.
Now I am back in the courtyard breaking the wheel down to reinstall the moonies on the gut shaped wheel.

Reassembling the wheels with the moon discs isn't as straight forward as it would be with a hub that you could remove the brake arm from. The Nexus 3 hubs require you to remove the brake arm with the hub cover along with the right cone, so basically the guts are no long secured with the hub.. I had to temporarily reattach the brake assembly so that i could flip the wheel and remove the cog so that i could put the drive side moonie (flatter dish to this side is very important). Then roughly rotate the disc to line up the tube stem with the disc hole.
Then flip back over to the brake side. Remove the brake arm and cone cover. Install the deeper dish moon disc. Then install the brake arm and cone cover. Tighten the cone lock nuts while keeping the flats of the axle in proper alignment for the dropout alignment washer.
Once the hubs is properly assembled, then realign the air hole with the tube stem again and start putting the three sex bolts on properly to sandwich the rim and keep the tube stem alligned. Nothing to it.

Hopefully this lengthy description and photos will help someone in the future.

1000022022.jpg
1000022023.jpg
1000022024.jpg
1000022025.jpg
1000022026.jpg
1000022027.jpg
1000022028.jpg
1000022029.jpg
1000022030.jpg
1000022031.jpg
1000022032.jpg
1000022033.jpg

Got everything adjusted up. Time for another shakedown ride.

20240619_185028.jpg

So far, so good. Great having 3 proper gears now.

BTW, if you have watched or read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, this is the Mercer House where the central Action occurred back in the 80s.

20240619_185448.jpg

Gears are working like a champ.

20240619_195125.jpg

20240619_195802.jpg
20240619_200102.jpg
20240619_203256.jpg

Last edited:
If you can find the correct size, it might look cool to hide the valve stem holes with some faucet hole covers.
stainless-steel-elkay-sink-hole-covers-lk125r-64_1000.jpg

Great idea. I need to go back in my SaltHammer build thread and see what I used then. I think that set of Moons may have had the OG caps, but I can't remember.

I think the ones on SaltHammer were stock from Mooneyes. I do remember they had mooneyes stickers on them. They basically attach the same way faucet hole covers do.
1718845458745.png
1718845477270.png

Haven't decided if I will paint the rims red to give a cool redline look to the wheels like I did on SaltHammer.

1718846251329.png

1718846271698.png
1718846572347.png

By the way, the ride went great. No shifting issues whatsoever. I like the gearing too. Now I have a true first (not too hard, not too easy), Second is perfect for cruising, Third is a bit high, but usuable. These fat tires cruise great, but they aren't meant for speed.
I am soooooo glad that I worked through the issues on the Nexus 3. Learned some new stuff too.
Next, I'll test with the tank briefly, then I will mount the shifter to the underside of the top bar.

Nope, you gotta do it the hard way, then if that doesn't work, then the easy way. I usually end up doing it the easy way.:headbang:
To explain the easy way, this is how it goes in my shop:

Wife: "How much longer will that take?
Me: Almost done!"
Truth be told: "About an hour and a half. I tried it the hard way and have spent all morning with no success. I need one hour to undo the failed work, then a half hour to do it the easy way and clean up the shop."

These fat tires cruise great, but they aren't meant for speed.

That's what I always told my fat bike customers at the shop when they'd ask about rolling resistance,

"These tires aren't meant to go fast, so you don't have to!" :bigsmile:

Glad you got the 3 spd solved. The push rods are critical as well as axle alignment. I wonder how many build projects have been stopped or discarded by people over the years because the wrong push rod was installed?

I heard you say something about 'patina on the Mooneyes disks' a couple of pages back. :nod::nerd:

They may have used one of those little hammer things that you would have in the glove box that's made to break the window for escape.
View attachment 270151

But the break is at the very bottom of the window. Usually the intentional break is near the center, unless the perp wasn't watching what he was doing.
It may have been something else. I would look on the ground for a pellet or bb. I'm suspecting some kids doing some mischief because they didn't do anything else except the one hit.

I has a tubocharged minivan (1989 Voyager) that had the rear window shot out. It wasn't to steal anything, a neighbor had shot it out at midnight in retaliation. My idiot brother had yelled something racial as he drove by a day before. He wasn't invited over to my place ever again.

My guess is that the perp used a spring loaded window breaking device.

1718887843623.png

I heard you say something about 'patina on the Mooneyes disks' a couple of pages back. :nod::nerd:

Still have a few more mechanicals and installation things to work out before I jump into color and/or patina.

I just want to have the total image of what the build will physically be before I see if my original inspiration and idea still works in my head. But yes. my og inspiration was ratty wheel discs.

Latest posts

Back